Friday, April 26, 2013
From extreme moulage to extreme disaster, this drill is playing for serious stakes.
Scenario As a part of a full-scale drill, a boiler explodes due to equipment failure during first period at Geneva Middle School South, collapsing part of the building. The building's fire alarm is activated. Extrication is needed for students and staff members trapped in the building. Triage is also needed. Five people are being transported to Delnor Hospital with a variety of serious, simulated injuries. The video and narrative that follows is the "reporter's-eye view" of the drill, first during the preparation stage, then from outside the building. Notes under the subheads were provided by School District 304. 11:15 a.m. — Preparing for the Drill It looks like fun, but it's serious business at Geneva Middle School South, as …
Sunday, March 31, 2013
FINAL UPDATE: An Easter Sunday fire caused an estimated $250,000 damage to a home on St. Charles' East Side. Here's what happened ...
A house fire at 608 State Ave. in St. Charles about 12:29 p.m. shook up the Easter Sunday for residents and neighbors on the East Side and caused an estimated $250,000 in damage. No one was injured. The St Charles Fire Department arrived at the blaze by 12:32 p.m. and found heavy smoke showing from all floors of the three-story home, according to a release from the department. “Upon entry, fire was found on all three floors,” the release states. “Due to the size of the fire, the alarm was upgraded to a first level MABAS box alarm, bringing additional assistance to the scene,” the release states. MABAS is an acronym for Mutual Aid Box Alarm System. According to the release, the fire was extinguished in about 2½ hours. But firefighters …
Friday, February 15, 2013
Nine area fire departments respond to a late Valentine's Day Hazmat call at a food packaging plant in Geneva after nitric acid mixes with a chemical solvent.
Nine area Hazmat units responded late Thursday night to an unexpected Valentine's Day chemical reaction at Power Packaging, a food and beverage packaging plant at 2089 Pillsbury Drive in Geneva. Geneva Fire Department Chief Steve Olson said Friday that Hazmat units were called in after nitric acid inadvertently was combined with an organic solvent. "They don’t get along very well," Olson said. Nitric acid is a strong acid and a powerful oxidizing agent and can be explosive when mixed with many organic compounds, such as turpentine, according to Wikipedia. Olson said a technician disposed one chemical into a waste container, "and the result was a chemical reaction. We removed the cabinet and rendered it harmless out there." Asked if the two…
Sunday, January 6, 2013
The dog belongs to a family in the area, fire officials said. Here’s what happened.
A dog was hit by a car Sunday afternoon on Route 31 and did not survive, the Geneva Fire Department said. The crash occurred near North 1st (Route 31) and North streets. Geneva Fire was dispatched to the scene at about 4 p.m., Fire Lt. Fred Tichenor said. The dog, identified as a pit bull by fire officials, was dead when they arrived to the crash. Tichenor said the dogs' owners live in Geneva. They were at the scene and were obviously upset about what happened. The crash took place after the dog got loose, Tichenor said. "The dog ran in the roadway, is my understanding," he said. "It ran towards another dog." The dog was struck by a Nissan Pathfinder sport-utility vehicle traveling northbound on Route 31. The female driving the SUV is from…
Friday, December 14, 2012
Geneva firefighters help knock down the blaze in about five minutes at 1904 Jeanette Ave.
A candle that was knocked over is being blamed for starting a fire Thursday in St. Charles, authorities said. The St. Charles Fire Department arrived within four minutes of the 3:21 p.m. fire reported at 1904 Jeanette Ave. Firefighters found a small fire at the top of a second-floor staircase. The fire department said the blaze was extinguished in about five minutes, but firefighters remained on the scene until 4:01 to complete salvage operations, checking for fire extension into other areas and conducting the fire investigation. The cause of the fire is attributed to candle which was accidentally knocked over, the department said. An occupant of the home discovered the fire, exited the house and called 911. Authorities said there were no …
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
No serious injuries were reported. Here’s what else we know.
Two sport-utility vehicles were involved in a crash Wednesday that halted rush-hour traffic in Geneva, officials said. The crash occurred on State Street (Route 38) at South Lincoln Avenue. The Geneva Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at 6:12 p.m., Fire Lt. Kevin Forest said. One SUV did end up on its side, but no one had to be transported. Everyone was treated and released at the scene, Forest said. "Everyone was out of their vehicles by the time we got there," he said. Traffic was shut down on Route 38 within minutes of the crash, which occurred while rush hour was in full swing. Forest did not have the exact street closure boundaries, but Anderson Boulevard was closed at Route 38 two blocks east of the crash scene. The crash …
Friday, November 16, 2012
With the help of many ... Santa's home in Geneva is ready for the season!
- LOCAL CONNECTIONS
- Laura Rush
Friday, November 16, 2012
Santa Claus flew in for the day and joined Lisa Nelson, Carlson’s Floors; Lou George, The Home Depot; Rod Johnson, Geneva Fire Department (GFD) and many other Geneva firefighters in the ribbon cutting of the renovated Santa House. The Geneva Fire Department personnel donated their time (lots of time) to construct a new roof with materials donated by Home Depot. Carlson’s Floors will be putting in new carpeting once the house arrives for his seasonal location on James Street. In addition, Weaver Partners will be installing a handicap accessible entrance. The Santa House will open at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 7, following Santa Lucia and her attendants arriving by horse-drawn carriage, the great tree lighting, Graham's Fine Chocolates Candy Cane …
Friday, October 26, 2012
The fire that took hold of the State Bank of Geneva in the wee hours of Wednesday morning most likely caused by a damaged electrical cord.
A damaged electrical cord is the likely cause of a Wednesday morning fire that caused almost a half-million dollars of damage to the State Bank of Geneva, 22 S. Fourth St., Deputy Fire Chief Mark Einwich said in a Friday press release. "The Geneva Fire Department has concluded its investigation into the origin and cause of the fire at the State Bank of Geneva and has determined the fire was accidental in nature," Einwich said. The fire originated in a first-floor office in the northwest corner of the building. Geneva Fire Department fire investigators, with assistance of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives and Geneva Police Department investigators, determined the fire was most likely caused by a damaged electrical …
Friday, September 14, 2012
A fire alarm at the Kane County Government Center turns out to be just an alarm. No fire is reported.
- PUBLIC SAFETY
- Rick Nagel
Friday, September 14, 2012
If you saw fire trucks heading toward the Kane County Government Center this afternoon (Friday, Sept. 14), no worries. It was just a fire alarm and nothing more. Tri-Com reported the alarm shortly after 1 p.m. Police Chief Steve Olson said the department responded to the fire alarm and a report of an unusual odor in Buidling C at the Government Center. Building C is located in southeast part of the campus. According to the countyofkane.org website, Building C includes the county recorder's office, GIS Technologies Department, Office of Emergency Management and Supervisor of Assessment offices. Personnel were briefly evacuated from the building, probably for no more than 20 minutes, Olson said. Employees were re-entering the building at 1:…
Thursday, August 30, 2012
The Geneva Fire Department estimates $100,000 structural damage and $50,000 in contents damage due to Tuesday's house fire on Sheffield Lane. Thankfully, no one was at home during the fire.
An unattended candle led to $150,000 in fire damage to a Sheffield Lane home Tuesday morning. The Geneva Fire Department said in a press release that the fire caused $150,000 damage—$100,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents of the home at 2010 Sheffield Lane. "The fire has been determined to be accidental in nature, caused by an unattended candle that was left burning," the press release said. The Fire Department responded to the house fire at about 10:16 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28. Companies were initially alerted by neighbors reporting smoke coming from the roof of the residence. Initial responding companies found flames visible from the second floor rear of the two-story residence and located a working fire on the second floor. …