Williamsburg Elementary School
Williamsburg Elementary is the second-newest public school in Geneva. According to Princiapl Julie Dye, "It's a new building, but not a new purpose." The staff and students moved from the former Fourth Street School to the Coultrap Elementary School building in 1994, then from Coultrap to Williamsburg in August 2008. Williamsburg was designed with staff input to be an environment suited specifically to fit the needs of elementary school students and teachers, with natural light, ample classroom sizes and storage. Dye noted that the school has "a phenomenal staff, parent and kid community," and that "Geneva is a progressive community with a historic, small-town feel," comparing the school to the city itself.
- Fax: 630-463-3109
- Hours: Grades 1 - 5: Mon - Fri, 8am - 2:15 pm. Kindergarten Morning hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 10:30am; Afternoon hours: 11:45am - 2:15pm. Office hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 3:30pm. Sat, Sun, closed.
- Handicap Accessible: There is an elevator in the main hallway.
- Founding Date: Aug 01 2008
- Number of students: 553
- Male-to-female ratio: 1:1, with variances year to year
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: None
- Student-to-teacher ratio: K - 2 ratio is 21-24:1. Grades 3 - 5 ratio is 24-28:1.
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 82 total staff, 44 certified teaching staff. Totals include part-time and staffers shared with others schools.
- How engaged is the school with the community?: "Very," Dye said. "Students visit Arden Courts and do fundraising that supports Lazarus House. Teachers encourage kids to be involved naturally. We want them to say, 'Of course I do volunteering. That's part of being a good citizen.' "
- What makes this community special?: "It's Geneva," Dye said. "It's involved parents—parents who care, not just about the students but about the community. It's people who say, 'What can I do to help?' "
- Grade levels: K - 5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Various clubs through the PTO.