In honor of Labor Day, Patch Picks is featuring five charities and organizations that provide service to our community. Philanthropy is an important part of what makes Geneva such a hospitable place to live.
Coming together is something the citizens of Geneva do best, and Patch wants everyone to know how much we appreciate the time and support that goes into making Geneva, and the world, a better place.
1. is an organization focused on providing affordable and quality family and youth counseling services. This community-based outreach program works with individuals and families affected by substance abuse and mental health issues. Tri-Cities offers early intervention, youth counseling, and family behavioral health support to aid in relapse prevention.
2. CASA Kane County is an advocacy group providing support for abused and neglected children who have been removed from unstable homes and are entering the juvenile court system. More than 200 volunteers worked 538 cases in Kane County last year, making sure the best interest of minors was being represented in court and later being attended to at home. Volunteers work cases for an average of two years, providing a sense of stability for the children to rely on.
3. Literacy Volunteers of Fox Valley provides free reading and comprehension help to residents of the Fox Valley. They began in 1986 after a census statistic showed thousands of people living in the area with problems reading and writing the English language. Literacy Volunteers of Fox Valley aims to help people with low literacy skills become more efficient members of society.
4. The Rotary Club of Geneva was founded on March 15, 1965. Rotary International brings together business professionals and communities to provide charitable services through philanthropic efforts. Geneva's Rotary is part of the world-wide Rotary effort and sponsors area charities such as Open Door For Teens Inc., the Geneva Park District Foundation and the Wilderness Challenge Program.
5. Fox Valley Troop Support (FVTS) is a non-for profit based organization that supports U.S. military members deployed overseas. They send out care packages, letters from home and provide support for family members with loved ones on active duty.