Batavia has some bragging rights this year, as the sophomore and varsity Bulldogs beat the Vikings in football Friday night and the volleyball team pulled a bit of an upset over Geneva on Tuesday.
The Vikings volleyball team goes 1-1 in the conference after losing a grueling match against the Bulldogs. In game one, Geneva had a 13-8 lead to start of the match.
Grace Loberg had four big kills from the beginning to help set the tempo for the rest of the game.
The Vikings, however, took a loss in game two even after they demonstrated
spectacular defense and put up a good fight. Game three went point for point until the end of the game. Geneva was down 18-21 and came back to get it close at 22-23. Unfortunately, the Vikings were not able to pull through for the final points of the match.
Loberg led the team with a tremendous 21 kills for the match and contributed 21 digs. Kelsey Wicinski broke the school record as she gained 48 digs for the match against Batavia. The Vikings will play against Willowbrook on Thursday, Sept. 19.
- Geneva 25-22-22
- Batavia 20-25-25
- Kills: Loberg-21, Thompson-8, Barrett-4, Courter-1, Marmitt-1, Caruso-1
- Blocks: Courter-7, Marmitt-5, Barrett-4, Thompson-4, Hunter-2, Loberg-1
- Assists: Caruso-21, Cameron-14
- Digs: Wicinski-48, Loberg-21, Caruso-12, Kolquist-9, Cameron-4, Courter-3, Thompson-3, Barrett-3, Marmitt-2, Olsen-1
- Points: Cameron-6, Wicinski-4, Caruso-4, Kolquist-2, Courter-2, Loberg-2
- Aces: Cameron-1
SOURCE: Courtesy of Jaime Spolum