The sophomore Vikings and North Stars went toe to toe in the rain Friday night, battling in a close game until Geneva pulled away with a touchdown early in the fourth quarter for a 19-7 win.
Geneva took first blood with 54 seconds left in the first quarter on a sustained drive and a 1-yard touchdown plunge by Liam Burns.
The North Stars came back in the second quarter, scoring on a 3-yard run by Chris Paige to take a 7-6 lead with 4:34 on the clock. But Geneva score two minutes later on an interception return by Alex Lobrillo for a 13-7 lead at halftime.
After a scoreless third quarter, in which both offenses struggled to gain momentum in the rain, the Vikings scored with 5:51 showing on an 8-yard pass from Mike Landi and credited to Max Woodworth.
SCORE BY QUARTERS:
- Geneva: 6-7-0-6—19
- St. Charles North: 0-7-0-0—7
- #10 Liam Burns: 19 carries, 57 yards, 1 TD
- #33 Max Woodworth: 7 carries, 37 yards
- #7 Mike Landi: 6 carries, 7 yards
Total: 101 yards, 1 TD
- #7 Mike Landi: 3-of-11, 19 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
- #87 Mayes: 1 catch, 4 yards
- #33 Woodworth: 2 catches, 15 yards, 1 TD