Perhaps I didn't offer enough pre-game angst prior to the last week.
Getting into the car prior to the game, I actually said aloud, to myself, "I have a bad feeling about this." But I failed to share that with you all. And what was the result? Six fumbles recovered by Oswego, a second-quarter shellacking the likes of which Geneva varsity football hasn't seen for many a year and with a running clock in the second half.
This week, there's plenty to be anxious about. Geneva is travelling to Wheaton North, which pummelled Bartlett 49-0 last week. And, of course, on the strength of a couple onside kick recoveries, so Wheaton North is eager to get revenge and unlikely to be surprised by trickery.
The Falcons' two stars, quarterback Johnny Peltz and running back Patrick Sharp, will make things very tough. The Daily Herald said the Falcons averaged 9.7 yards a carry against Bartlett.
OK, is that enough angst?
Last week, I tried going with the brat as the pregame food item of choice. Big mistake. Back to the standby hotdog, Diet Coke combo that had a winning record in 2011.
You might say the Vikings would beat Wheaton North once in a , and if you did, it would be timely. There is exactly that, a blue moon tonight, so let's hope that bodes well for the boys in blue and white.
Got photos to add? Thoughts about the season? is where to find information about the game and Geneva football in general.
Directions to Wheaton North and Other Fun Facts
1. Head south on Logan Ave toward Ford St 0.3 mi
2. Turn left onto IL-38 E/W State StContinue to follow IL-38 E 4.5 mi
3. Turn left onto Co Rd 21/W Washington St 2.6 mi
4. Continue onto Geneva Rd 3.4 mi
5. Turn right onto N Gary Ave 0.4 mi
6. Take the 1st left onto W Thomas RdDestination will be on the left 0.2 mi Wheaton North High School, 701 West Thomas Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
WHEATON NORTH SCHOOL FACTS
- Location: 701 West Thomas Rd., Wheaton IL 60187-3189
- Colors: Royal Blue/Gold
- Nickname: Falcons
- Conference: DuPage Valley Conference