It has been a long time in coming, but through a big donation and a lot of little ones, is going to get a new surface.
Geneva School District 304's Board of Education is expected to approve a $1.1 million renovation bid during its Monday meeting.
Nicholas & Associates of Mount Prospect turned in the low bid for the work, which months ago was described as the installation of an artificial-turf surface as well as drainage improvements and widening of the track.
In November, the board formally accepted a $450,000 anonymous donation as well as $45,000 raised by the Friends of Burgess Field to fund the project and authorized staff to seek construction bids.
Last fall, district officials had budgeted $500,000 to repair the field’s collapsed drainage system and plant new sod over it. Several residents, though, felt strongly that artificial turf would provide a safer, longer-lasting playing surface for Geneva High School’s sports teams, band and gym classes.
In November, the board said improvements were expected to be completed in time for the 2012 fall seasons.
Also on the agenda for Monday night is the The committee would be made up of three board members and the school superintendent, although the superintendent would not be able to vote.
Part of its purpose would be to "facilitate cooperation and communication regarding financial issues between the district and the community, and obtain input regarding financial matters of the district."
The School Board also will be hearing a report on middle school improvements, which include the adoption of policies and procedures regarding student bullying issues.
And Geneva High School students will be honored for participating in the All-State Music Festival.
Geneva CUSD 304REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION
7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13, 1113 Peyton, Coultrap Lincoln Entrance, Geneva, IL
1.CALL TO ORDER
1. 1. Roll Call 1. 2. Welcome 1. 3. Pledge 1. 4. Reminder to Sign Attendance Record
2.APPROVAL OF MINUTES
2. 1.Regular Session January 23, 2012 Item 2.1 Board Minutes 2012_1.23.pdf
2. 2. Executive Session January 23, 2012
3. RECOGNITION, AWARDS, PRESENTATIONS, PUBLIC HEARINGS
3. 1. Tradition of Excellence Awards - Geneva High School Students
Illinois Music Educators Association All-State Music Festival Item 3.1 GHS Student Recognition.pdf
3. 2. School Improvement Plan Updates: Geneva Middle School North & South Item 3.2 School Improvement Plan Updates GMS N & S .pdf
4. SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT
5. PUBLIC COMMENTS
6. BOARD DIALOGUE TOPICS & PENDING ACTION CONSIDERATIONS
6. 1. Bid Summary/Award: Burgess Field Renovation, $1,100,000.00, Nicholas & Associates, Inc.
Reference Document 3.2 Item 6.1 Bid Summary_Award Burgess Field Renovation.pdf
6. 2. Board Finance Committee Item 6.2 Finance Advisory Committee Proposed Guidelines.pdf
7. WORK-STUDY TOPICS & FUTURE ACTION CONSIDERATIONS
8. 1. GHS Counseling & Advising Report: January 31, 2012 Item 8.1 GHS Counseling and Advising Report January 31 2012.pdf
8. 2. District 304 Public Forums List Item 8.2 Forum List 2007 to Present.pdf
9. CONSENT AGENDA
9. 1. Personnel Report: Resignations, Retirements, Leave Requests, Changes in Assignment/FTE, New Hires Item 9.1 Personnel Report.pdf
9. 2. Disposition of Executive Session Minutes, July 2011 through December 2011 Item 9.2 Disposition Ex Minutes Memo.pdf Item 9.2 Disposition of Ex Minutes July_December 2011.pdf
9. 3. Waiver of Rental Fee - 2012, 2013, 2014: Annual Arts & Crafts Show, Mothers Club of Geneva Item 9.3 Memo Mothers Club of Geneva Fee Waiver.pdf Item 9.3 Mothers Club of Geneva Fee Waiver.pdf
9. 4. Technology Purchase, Phase 1, Five-year Capital Outlay Plan, Computer Replacement, Geneva High School & Mill Creek Elementary School, $63,991.20, IL State Contract Pricing, Victorin/Heartland Business Systems Item 9.4 Technology Purchase.pdf
10. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC ON BOARD OF EDUCATION ACTION
11. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS AND REPORTS
Policy Committee, Financial Task Force, Facilities Task Force, Communication Task Force, Joint PTO, Geneva All-Sports Boosters, Geneva Music Boosters, Geneva High School Theater Boosters, Academic Foundation, GEARS, K-12 Discipline Committee, Geneva Coalition for Youth, PRIDE, REMS Grant
12. NOTICES / ANNOUNCEMENTS
13. EXECUTIVE SESSION TO CONSIDER MATTERS PERTAINING TO COLLECTIVE NEGOTIATING MATTERS BETWEEN THE PUBLIC BODY AND ITS EMPLOYEES OR THEIR REPRESENTATIVES [5 ILCS 120/2(c)(2)]
14. ACTION POSSIBLE FOLLOWING EXECUTIVE SESSION