Rep. Randy Hultgren released the following statement after he voted in support of the budget agreement that passed the House 332-94:
“This budget agreement preserves fiscally conservative principles, ensures our military readiness and makes the first step toward breaking the cycle of government by crisis. By actually capping discretionary spending levels below two previously passed House budgets and the caps put in place by the Budget Control Act of 2011—without raising taxes—we are preserving fiscal responsibility and opening the door to true reform of our $17 trillion debt problem.
"Governing by continuing resolutions and short-term budgets hurts our ability to properly oversee federal spending, endangers our national defense and squelches opportunities to pass debt solutions that require looking further than six months down the road.
"Americans generally can agree on 80 percent of any given issue. House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan’s fiscally responsible approach has helped break our current impasse, encouraging Congress to stand together on the 80 percent we agree on, and pushing us to roll up our sleeves on the other 20 percent so we can attain true reform. This will be the first time since 1986 that a divided Congress has passed a budget.”