Residents, educators and School Board members breathed a sigh and smiled Wednesday, when the Kane County Chronicle and Daily Herald posted a note that the Geneva Education Association voted Wednesday to ratify the tentative contract agreed upon in the wee hours of Monday morning.
The reports said more than a two-thirds majority of the GEA members voted to ratify the agreement.
The Board of Education and the GEA struck a confidentiality agreement that said details of the new three-year contract would not be made public until it was ratified by both parties.
School Board President Mark Grosso said after Monday's meeting that District 304 would call a special meeting for that purpose, most likely Monday or Tuesday.
The GEA vote almost certainly ends a negotiation process that had been going on since February. A strike was averted during an 11th-hour negotiation session that began Sunday afternoon.
Want to stay up to date on school issues and breaking news?
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts.
Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below this text.
- Reports: GEA Members Authorize Strike; Nov. 9 Earliest Possible Strike
- Geneva Teachers Express Frustration Over Stalled Negotiations
- UPDATE: Geneva School Board Calls Special Meeting to Discuss Teacher Negotiations
- Is a Teachers' Strike Possible in Geneva? Green Buttons Show Solidarity on First Day of School
- Patch Poll: How Much of An Increase Should Geneva Teachers Get?
- Batavia Teachers Get Raises in New Two-Year Contract; Geneva Still Negotiating
- Where Do You Stand on the Geneva Teachers' Union Negotiations?
- Geneva Teachers Expected to Picket Before Tuesday School Board
- State Teachers Union Announces Geneva Talks at Impasse
- UPDATE: Geneva Teachers Union Posts Its 'Final Offer'
- District 304: GEA's 'Final Offer' Calls for 18% Salary Hike in Final 3 Years Before Retirement
- Teacher Talks Resume Friday; Here's the Timeline If an Agreement Isn't Reached
- Geneva School Board's 'Final Offer' Made Public
- Geneva Teachers Give Notice of Intent to Strike
- School Board: Union's 'Rigid Stance' Kept Parties Apart for Months; GEA Responds
- Patch Poll: Which Offer Is More Fair to Teachers and Taxpayers?
- UPDATE—Geneva School Board: GEA Filed Intent to Strike While Sitting at Negotiations Table
- Geneva School District Outlines Plans in Case of Teacher's Strike
- GEA Posts Open Letter to Geneva Citizens
- Geneva School Board Releases Its Most Recent Contract Offer; Special Meeting Monday
- 'Show Will Go On' for the GHS Fall Play—Even If There's a Teachers Strike
- Geneva School Board Posts Most Recent Offer to GEA
- School Still Scheduled for Monday in Geneva
- Tentative Geneva Teachers Agreement Struck; School in Session Monday
- Public Not Likely to Learn Teacher Contract Details Until Early Next Week