Parents of Geneva public school students will pay 10 cents more per lunch next and $5 more a year to register students for high school.
The School District 304 Board of Education OK'd two modest fee increases at Monday's board meeting.
Assistant Superintendent for Business Services Donna Oberg said the district has been monitoring the lunch fees closely for several years. There has been no lunch-fee increase since 2008, while the cost of food, labor and especially transportation have significantly gone up.
The district ran a $15,000-plus deficit in the lunch program for the 2010-11 school year and is trending about that same this year.
"We don’t want to make a profit on the lunch-fee program, but we do want to break even," Oberg said.
The lunch fee at the grade schools is $2. It's $2.30 at both middle schools and at the high school.
Geneva's lunch fees were anywhere from the lowest to the fourth-lowest among the elementary, middle and high schools of the seven school districts Oberg surveyed. The other six districts were Kaneland, Batavia, St. Charles, DeKalb, Central and Sycamore.
Oberg also compared costs at various districts that have ala carte options, and if you want a cheeseburger, Geneva's your best spot. It's $1.75 for a cheeseburger at Geneva. A student pays $2 at Barrington, $2.25 at St. Charles and $2.50 at Batavia or Crystal Lake.
"It's good to see that we’re not leading the charge in charging our parents," board member Mary Stith said. "I thank you for that."
Registration fees at the high school will go up from $115 to $120.
The additional $5 will help pay for the Naviance system, a multiyear program that helps students and their parents "establish meaningful post-secondary goals and connect those goals with their coursework and college planning activities," according to the Naviance website.
"As a parent with a student looking to send a kid to college, it’s fantastic," board member Kelly Nowak said.
Geneva Patch will provide more on the School Board meeting in future articles.
Here's a copy of the full agenda, with links to additional documents:
MONDAY NIGHT'S AGENDA
Geneva CUSD 304 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION, Monday, March 12, 2012 7:00 PM, , 1113 Peyton, Lincoln Entrance, Geneva, IL
1. CALL TO ORDER
- 1.1. Roll Call
- 1.2. Welcome
- 1.3. Pledge
- 1.4. Reminder to Sign Attendance Record
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- 2.1. Regular Session February 27, 2012 Item 2.1 Minutes 2.27_2012.pdf
- 2.2. Executive Session February 27, 2012
3.RECOGNITION, AWARDS, PRESENTATIONS, PUBLIC HEARINGS
- 3.1. Tradition of Excellence Award: Student Recognition: Geneva High School Wrestling, Swimming, Cheer Team, Dance Team Item 3.1 Student Recognition GHS.pdf
- 3.2. School Improvement Plan Update: Mill Creek Elementary School
- 3.3. Illinois Association of School Business Officials (IASBO) Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) Award Item 3.3 COE Award Letter.pdf Item 3.3 COE Certificate.pdf
4. SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT
5. PUBLIC COMMENTS
6. BOARD DIALOGUE TOPICS & PENDING ACTION CONSIDERATIONS
- 6.1. Annual Resolution for Dismissal: Certified Part-time Teachers Item 6.1 Dismissal certified part-time.pdf
- 6.2. Fee Increase Proposal: Lunch & Milk Fees Item 6.2 FY 2012 Survey of Lunch Fees.pdf
- 6.3. Fee Increase Proposal: GHS Registration Fee Item 6.3 FY 2012 Survey of School Fees.pdf
7. WORK-STUDY TOPICS & FUTURE ACTION CONSIDERATIONS
- 8.1. FOIA Requests/Responses Item 8.1 FOIA Memo.pd
- 8.2. Summer School Item 8.2 Summer School 2012.pdf
9. CONSENT AGENDA
- 9.1. Personnel Report: Resignations, Retirements, Leave Requests, Changes in Assignment/FTE, New Hires Item 9.1 Personnel Report.pdf
- 9.2. 2012-2013 IHSA Membership Renewal Item 9.2 IHSA Membership Renewal.pdf
- 9. 3.Amend Resolution Authorizing Land Cash Intergovernmental Agreement: Kane County, IL / Geneva CUSD 304 Item 9.3 Amended Land Cash Documents.pdf
10. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC ON BOARD OF EDUCATION ACTION
11. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS AND REPORTS
Policy Committee, Financial Task Force, Facilities Task Force, Communication Task Force, Joint PTO, Geneva All-Sports Boosters, Geneva Music Boosters, Geneva High School Theater Boosters, Academic Foundation, GEARS, K-12 Discipline Committee, Geneva Coalition for Youth, PRIDE, REMS Grant
12. NOTICES / ANNOUNCEMENTS
13. EXECUTIVE SESSION TO CONSIDER MATTERS PERTAINING TO PENDING LITIGATION [5 ILCS 120/2(c)(11)]; AND COLLECTIVE NEGOTIATING MATTERS BETWEEN THE PUBLIC BODY AND ITS EMPLOYEES OR THEIR REPRESENTATIVES [5 ILCS 120/2(c)(2)]
14. ACTION POSSIBLE FOLLOWING EXECUTIVE SESSION