In a Monday press release, Mike Bruno said he will formally announce Wednesday his intent to run for 1st Ward alderman.
Bruno will make the announcement at 3 p.m. Wednesday Aug. 15, on the front porch of his home, at 522 Fulton St. in Geneva. Bruno will make a brief statement of the reasons for his candidacy and will answers questions from the press thereafter.
Refreshments will be served.
Bruno has been a member of He is an active and vocal proponent of historic preservation on issues such as the proposed demolition of the , and the .
Bruno owns a local Geneva technology company called 1st Layers Consulting and has been a regular volunteer on Geneva events and an activist on Geneva issues. He has lived in Geneva for 25 years with his wife, Debbie, and son, Adam.
Bruno will run against Zac Ploppert, who made his announcement official during a .
Two others have said they intend to run, but have not as yet issued press releases or made public announcements: former alderman Bill Barclay and owner Mike Olesen. The City Council is expected to vote soon—possibly at its Aug. 20 meeting—on an ordinance change that would make it possible for liquor-license holders to run for city office.
Library Board President previously sought the in a April 2011 race against Ploppert and incumbent , who won re-election.
announced on July 30 that he would not seek re-election after serving nearly 12 years as aldermen, 10 on the Plan Commission and eight on the Park Board.
Editor's note: The original article said Mike Bruno's announcement would be at 4 p.m. The correct time is 3 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, and the article has been corrected.