Be very very quiet. It's leaf hunting season.
As of Monday, Oct. 24. Geneva begins its lead collection schedule, so for gosh sakes, as Alderman Sam Hill reminds us, keep the leaves OUT OF THE GUTTERS, because it messes up the storm sewer system.
Geneva started some new rules last year, so here are a couple of hints, changes and traditional rules worth noting:
- Rake leaves into the parkway next to the curb—Keep them about 12 inches from the street. (And don't let them get into the street, for gosh sakes.)
- Get the leaves there by Monday prior to pickup and not later than 7 a.m. the day of pickup—Yes, it's difficult to schedule time during the work week, but it won't do any good to rake on Sunday if the pickup is Thursday. The wind will blow them to kingdom come or your neighbor's yard or the street.
- Don't park your car on the street that week—If you block the vacuum from getting to your leaves, you might miss out.
- Take advantage of free pickup of leaves in paper bags from Nov. 30 to Dec. 31—After the curbside vacuum collection period is over, you can still get free leaf collection. Allied Waste handles this part of the collection process. You put leaves in paper yard-waste bags, and place them with your scheduled refuse collection. Refuse stickers are not required during this time period for leaves. No other yard waste (grass, branches, etc.) can be mixed with the leaves.
- Do it yourself #1—The city suggests using a mulching lawnmower. Mulching leaves provides nutrients for the soil.
- Do it yourself #2—This advice from the city: Place leaves in and around plant beds and under trees and shrubs. Again, this provides good nutrients for the soil insulation for the plants.
For more information, visit the city's website.
Zone A: East Side of the Fox River
- First pickup: Oct. 27
- Second pickup: Nov. 8
- Final: Nov. 18
Zone B: West Side of the Fox River, north of Route 38, or north of Kaneville Road or Keslinger Road
- First pickup: Oct. 31
- Second pickup: Nov. 10
- Final: Nov. 22
Zone C: West Side of the Fox River, south of Route 38 or south of Kaneville Road or Keslinger Road
- First pickup: Oct. 24
- Second pickup: Nov. 3
- Final: Nov. 15