As promised, Geneva School District 304's Finance Committee will consider adding new members—likely from the general public—at Monday night's meeting at the Coultrap facility.
During that same meeting, set for 6 p.m. July 30, the Finance Committee will discuss the 2012-13 budget, technology capital plan and facilities capital plan. All are big topics of interest for citizens concerned about their tax bills and the quality of education.
School Board President Mark Grosso had suggested at the Monday, July 23, board meeting that the board consider adding two seats to the Finance Committee—at large positions that would be filled by community members rather than additional School Board members.
The technology plan also came under considerable discussion at previous School Board meetings. The School District is phasing in a technology plan, in which various platforms and tools would be used by teachers and students.
The 2012-13 budget, of course, is always a hot topic because of its potential to lower the School District's considerable debt and to mitigate the effects of a fast-rising property tax bill.
It will be interesting to see what recommendations come out of the facilities capital plan. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the potential demolition of the Coultrap facility, as well as what to do with the School District's administrative offices in the former Fourth Street School building.
GENEVA COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT NUMBER 304 BOARD OF EDUCATION 227 North Fourth Street, Geneva, IL 60134 630.463.3000
AGENDA Finance Committee Meeting July 30, 2012 6:00 PM Coultrap, 1113 Peyton, Lincoln Entrance 10, Geneva, IL
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. PUBLIC COMMENT
3. DISCUSSION / CONSIDERATION
- 3.1. 2012-2013 Tentative Budget
- 3.2. 2012-2013 Technology Capital Plan
- 3.3. 2012-2013 Facilities Capital Plan 3. 4. Finance Committee Additional Members
4. FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- 4.1. Final Budget Review (August)
- 4.2. First Quarter Financial Review (September)
- 4. 3. Assessor Presentation: Geneva Township & Blackberry Township, Tax Levy
- 4.4. Audit Presentation
5. ITEMS FOR RECOMMENDATION TO FULL BOARD
- 5.1. 2012-2013 Tentative Budget
- 5.2. 2012-2013 Technology Capital Plan
- 5.3. 2012-2013 Facilities Capital Plan