So, the candidate choices for city of Geneva elected positions played out without a bang or a whimper since filing began Dec. 17. The filing period officially concluded at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 26, and since no last-second hats landed in the ring, the ballots are set—barring any petition challenges.
For city offices, the boxing card looks like this:
It's Kevin Burns versus Bob McQuillan for the office of Geneva mayor.
And in the 1st Ward race, Zac Ploppert lines up against Mike Bruno.
The whistle for the final deadline means that some folks who showed interest in running decided they weren't quite interested enough to make a go of it. Among those names was former 2nd Ward Alderman Bill Barclay
According to an article in the Kane County Chronicle, conservative political consultant Jon Zahm was searching around for a candidate to take on Burns in the Geneva mayoral race. Apparently, enough animosity lingers from the Burns-Lauzen GOP primary race for County Board chairman to spur Zahm to search for a "viable" candidate. Zahm, who does not live in Geneva, told the Chronicle he didn't think McQuillan fit the bill.
In the 1st Ward, Mike Olesen, owner of Stockholm's, had intended to run for the post vacated by longtime Alderman Sam Hill. But the City Council—led vocally by Burns—decided against amending city ordinance to allow liquor-license holders to hold office.
Historically, Geneva voters seem to like their incumbents, and six are running unopposed in April. Lynn P. Landberg is the only candidate for city clerk and Patrick J. McQueeny for treasurer.
Second Ward Alderman Richard Marks is seeking a second term, and he's joined on the ballot by 2nd Ward Alderman Don Cummings, who was appointed to fill the back end of the term previously held by Bob because he had moved out of the 2nd Ward. Marks is seeking the four-year term, Cummings the two-year term.
Dawn Vogelsberg is unupposed for 3rd Ward, Ron Singer for 4th Ward and Ralph Dantino for 5th Ward.
Likely April 9 City Ballot
- Kevin R. Burns, 1630 Kaneville Road, Geneva, IL 60134
- Robert (Bob) McQuillan, 2677 Berkshire, Geneva, IL 60134
- Lynn P. Landberg, 606 Center Street, Geneva, IL 60134
- Patrick J. McQueeny, 2684 LeBaron Court, Geneva, IL 60134
- Zachary J. Ploppert127 N. Sixth Street, Geneva, IL 60134
- Michael Bruno, 522 Fulton, Geneva, IL 60134
WARD 2 (4 yr term)
- Richard G. Marks, 2688 LeBaron Court, Geneva, IL 60134
WARD 2 (2 yr term)
- Donald B. Cummings, Jr., 1440 Fairway Circle, Geneva, IL 60134
- Dawn Vogelsberg, 533 Glengarry, Geneva, IL 60134
- Ronald Singer, 364 Colonial Circle, Geneva, IL 60134
- Ralph R. Dantino, 515 Summit Street, Geneva, IL 60134
Want to Keep Up on the April 2013 Local Elections?
- Bookmark Geneva.Patch.Com on your home computer or laptop.
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts .
Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below.
- Reports: Geneva TaxFACTS Leader McQuillan Will Run for Mayor
- State Extends Local Elections Filing Deadline to 5 PM Dec. 26
- Batavia Mayor Jeff Schielke Seeks Re-Election
- Who Is Running for Geneva School Board?
- School Board President Mark Grosso Will Seek Another Term
- Ron Singer Will Seek Fifth Term as 4th Ward Alderman
- School Board 2013 Nominating Petitions Now Available on Geneva 304 Website
- QuickStory: Richard Marks Will Seek 2nd Term as Geneva 2nd Ward Alderman
- Barclay Considering Run for Mayor or 2nd Ward
- Ploppert Set to Announce Run for 1st Ward Alderman
- Mike Bruno To Officially Announce 1st Ward Candidacy