If you're interested in learning more about the newest trends in fitness and nutrition, you may want to check out a free expo at the Baker Community Center. This event is preceding the this weekend.
And, nominate a dynamic person under the age of 30 for a special recognition dinner by the .
Also, it is National POW/MIA Recognition Day. Take a moment to honor those who have given so much to our country and their family and friends who grieve for their loss.
Here are five things going on today, Friday, Sept. 16, 2011:
1. One of Geneva's finest restaurants, will have a with a special dinner tonight consisting of a three-course meal for $50 or a six-course meal for $90. Seatings are available every half hour between 5:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Call 630-262-1000 for reservations.
2. is coming to the in St. Charles from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. The expo is open to the public and will be held during the marathon's participant packet pick-up for the Fox Valley Marathon this weekend.
The Fitness Expo will feature exhibitors showcasing running gear and shoes, and information on sports, fitness and nutrition. Runners participating in the marathon will also be able to ask last-minute questions and meet to talk with their pace group leaders.
3. starts at 5 p.m. at the . This event is sponsored by DANK of the Fox Valley and will run through Sunday.
The festival features a carnival, food, and of course, a German beer tent. Food specialties will include fresh bratwurst, homemade potato salad, sauerkraut, schnitzel, hot dogs and french fries.
4. Nominations should be submitted by today's deadline for the recognition dinner on Oct. 20, where young professionals will be honored by the Batavia, Geneva and St. Charles Chambers of Commerce. If you know an enthusiastic, energetic and creative young professional you think could become a business leader, please nominate them.
For more information, contact the Geneva Chamber of Commerce at 630-232-6060 or e-mail email@example.com.
5. The Vikings take on Elgin at 7:30 tonight at Burgess Field. How do we know? Because of the fabulous Geneva Patch / Geneva Vikings refrigerator magnet that will be handed out FREE at the game!!! The magnets have the 2011 varsity football schedule on them, and IT'S ONLY FOUR GAMES INTO THE SEASON! (If you detect a note of sarcasm, blame the Geneva Patch editor.) Actually, we're one of the elite 40 Patch sites in the U.S. (and there are more than 900 now) chosen for the magnet marketing, so it's a pretty big deal. Score one for Rick, if you can. Free stuff is always good.
FUN FACT: Today is National POW/MIA Recognition Day. This day commemorates Americans who have sacrificed their lives, or quality of life, for their country. It is also one of six days throughout the year that Congress has mandated the flying of the National League of Families' POW/MIA flag.