It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, but already there are two contested races for city of Geneva offices up for grabs in the April 9 election.
In the first hours of candidate filing, three-term incumbent Mayor Kevin Burns faces off against Bob McQuillan, one of the co-founders of the Geneva TaxFACTS citizens group.
And in the race for 1st Ward alderman, to replace the irreplaceable Sam Hill, Historic Preservation Commission member Michael Bruno goes toe to toe with community activist Zachary J. Ploppert.
There's still plenty of time for folks to submit nominating petitions——and of course, there's a period of time that nominating petitions can be challenged. That said, it's not unusual for the ballot to be pretty much decided in the first hours of filing.
Three citywide offices will be on the April 9 ballot. In addition to the Burns-versus-McQuillan mayoral contest, Lynn P. Landberg is seeking to return as city clerk and Patrick J. McQueeny is running again for the treasurer position.
There are actually six aldermanic contests for Geneva's five wards this time around, due to the two-year term to fill the remainder of Bob Piper's 2nd Ward position. Piper resigned in at the end of 2011 because he had moved out of the ward and no longer met the residency requirements. Burns appointed former Library Board member Don Cummings to fill the seat through the April election.
Cummings said Monday night that he would submitting his petition later in the week.
Four other incumbents are seeking another four-year term and filed Monday. They are:
- 2nd Ward Alderman Richard Marks
- 3rd Ward Alderman Dawn Vogelsberg
- 4th Ward Alderman Ron Singer
- 5th Ward Alderman Ralph Dantino
Want to Keep Up on the April 2013 Local Elections?
- Bookmark Geneva.Patch.Com on your home computer or laptop.
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts .
Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below.
- Reports: Geneva TaxFACTS Leader McQuillan Will Run for Mayor
- State Extends Local Elections Filing Deadline to 5 PM Dec. 26
- Batavia Mayor Jeff Schielke Seeks Re-Election
- Who Is Running for Geneva School Board?
- School Board President Mark Grosso Will Seek Another Term
- Ron Singer Will Seek Fifth Term as 4th Ward Alderman
- School Board 2013 Nominating Petitions Now Available on Geneva 304 Website
- QuickStory: Richard Marks Will Seek 2nd Term as Geneva 2nd Ward Alderman
- Barclay Considering Run for Mayor or 2nd Ward
- Ploppert Set to Announce Run for 1st Ward Alderman
- Mike Bruno To Officially Announce 1st Ward Candidacy