Synthetic drug incidents that required a police response popped up all over the area this year, and Batavia was no different.
detailed 10 incidents from this year for the Batavia City Council that involved synthetic drugs in some way.
These incidents, along with research on the health risks of these drugs, spurred the Batavia City Council on Monday night to approve a citywide ordinance banning synthetic drugs. The vote took place at its regular meeting, held at , 100 N. Island Ave.
Here are summaries for each incident. Note: The Red Magic product that is repeatedly referenced in the incidents is just one name for synthetic marijuana. Synthetic marijuana is .
Feb. 21—Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Three juvenile subjects were located in a vehicle smoking Red Magic. The substance was sent to the Illinois State Police Crime Lab. It was determined that the substance contained no illegal substances.
- A 49-year-old female subject experiences seizures after smoking Red Magic.
- A 22-year-old male subject acted agitated, paranoid, making abnormal hand and body movements. The subject was under the influence of an unknown synthetic drug.
June 12—Intoxicated Subject
- An 18-year-old male subject was intoxicated and unable to stand. He was determined to be smoking Red Magic.
June 20—Aggravated Battery
- A 26-year-old male subject was arrested for aggravated battery and unlawful restraint against two female juveniles. The arrestee's family insisted the arrestee had been under the influence of an unknown synthetic drug.
July 13—Motorist Assist
- A 25-year-old male subject was discovered disoriented in his vehicle parked in the middle of the roadway. He was determined to be under the influence of an unknown brand of bath salts. Editor's note: U.S. drug enforcement officials describe bath salts as products containing another a designer drug that results in psychotic episodes, panic attacks and an increased heart rate.
Aug. 3—Criminal Tresspass
- Three juvenile subjects were located on the roof of a local elementary school, in possession of Red Magic. All of them admitted to smoking Red Magic.
Aug. 18—Aggravated Battery
- A 22-year-old man flees from a patrol officer, resists arrest and batters officers. The man had been smoking Red Magic.
Sept. 16—Unlawful Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- A juvenile subject was discovered to be in possession of a cannabis smoking pipe and Red Magic at a middle school.
Oct. 23—Info For Police
- A 26-year-old male subject driving erractically was discovered to have been smoking Red Magic.
Here are some ways to follow this story:
- Click on the "Keep me posted" button right below this article. You will receive an e-mail notification only when we run future stories on Batavia's proposed synthetic drug ordinance, synthetic marijuana use and other related events.
- Sign up on this site with an e-mail address here. You will receive the free daily Batavia Patch newsletter.