.

UPDATE: Portion of House 'Pretty Much Gutted' in Afternoon Fire

A fire that started in a service van quickly spread to a home on Swan Road in Mahwah, officials said

A Mahwah family was relocated Tuesday afternoon after a fire destroyed a portion of their Swan Road home, fire officials said.

According to Mahwah Fire Chief Ed Garza, the right side of the home, including the garage, closet, master bedroom and portion of the house’s roof, are “pretty much gutted out. Those rooms are totally damaged.”

The damage was contained to the right side of the house, he said.

According to Police Chief Jim Batelli, an electrician installing a generator in the house had parked in the driveway near the home’s garage. After 1 p.m., he heard a popping noise, and saw that his van was fully engulfed in flames, Batelli said.

The fire spread from the van to the garage, officials said.

Only the electrician was in the home at the time the fire broke out, and the two dogs inside the home were removed safely, Batelli said.

Authorities are not yet sure what sparked the fire in the van, which had been parked in the driveway since about 9 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

All five Mahwah fire companies, Mahwah Police, and Ambulance responded to the fire, as well as firefighters from Suffern, Ramsey and Wyckoff.

Submit your questions or news tips to jessica.mazzola@patch.com. And, remember to sign up for Patch's daily newsletter, and get updates on Facebook and Twitter.

david calleo February 26, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Thank you again Mahwah Fire Dept ! The whole house could have been lost ! Great job guys
NANCY (BAMBERGER) CASTNER February 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Thankfully the two dogs are safe & sound..am assuming that the home is not livable..where will the residents stay & how about the animals? Since I no longer live in the area, please tell me where Swan Road is located...from the photo the home and the landscaping to have been there for at least a decade...!! Thankfully the fire department was so quick to respond or all may have been lost...nice going MFD!! Formerly from Mahwah..NBC
Lauren Ann February 27, 2013 at 03:45 AM
He did NOT burn the house down. The generator(which is located on the opposite side of the house) was installed and the job was done. The van was parked in the driveway near the garage. It was a freak accident, which the homeowners understand. Luckily no one was injured.
Joe T. February 27, 2013 at 03:53 AM
I live nearby, it was a pretty nice house. Swan is back behind MacArthur Blvd. I think the owners got their things and are staying with family for the time being. Luckily most of the house was saved.
Bill Goffredo February 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM
What's up with the upside down video?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »