.

Elmhurst Residents Charged with Computer Tampering, Harassment Through Electronic Means

Photos of female victims were posted online without their consent, police said.

Three men have been arrested following an investigation into numerous cases of computer tampering and electronic harassment, according to an Oct. 9 press release from the Elmhurst Police Department.

Police launched an investigation based on reports of numerous email and online photo storage accounts being accessed without the owners' consent. Police said photographs of numerous female victims were posted to a website without the victims' knowledge or consent.

The following Elmhurst residents were arrested:

  • Andrew J. Kubicz, 20, of 602 Babcock, was charged with five misdemeanor counts of harassment through electronic communication.
  • Thomas J. Demars, 26, of 124 N. Evergreen, was charged with one misdemeanor count of conspiracy to commit computer tampering.
  • Steven W. Jane, 23, of 349 Yorkfield was charged with three misdemeanor counts of harassment through electronic communications.

All three were released on bond.

Elmhurst police remind residents to keep online accounts secure by using strong account passwords, and to not post information on social websites that would assist criminals in resetting account passwords. Once photos are posted online or sent through email, it is possible criminals can obtain them, police said, and they can never completely be recovered.

Anyone with further information about this investigation or any other computer crimes should call Det. Steve Mandat at (630) 530-3063.

Patch reports on law enforcement activity using information provided by official agencies. Persons charged with a crime or issued a citation for violation of a local ordinance are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If you or a family member are charged with a crime or cited for a violation and the charge or citation is subsequently adjudicated, we encourage you to contact karenc@patch.com and we will do follow-up reporting on the case.

Courtney October 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM
These men violated people's privacy and stole photos and other information from grown women. This was calculated , they are the predators, not the other way around. If you ever have a daughter I hope you feel the same when a man violates her privacy and hacks into their computer and personal information without their knowledge.
CPT. OBVIOUS October 15, 2012 at 09:07 PM
Whoever blames the victims in the case is just trying to justify someone being perverse. The predators are 99% to blame with the other 1% belonging to the companies who allowed their networks to be breached. Who knows what other information was compromised In this day and age online security needs to become more of just an afterthought.
Cronan October 19, 2012 at 08:03 PM
Grown women? There were links to each high school and then numerous photos under each link! understand?
George Latva December 04, 2012 at 07:19 PM
I am not defending what these guys did but the girls are also at fault for taking these pictures and posting them to a online storage website. as the phrase goes once its on the web it never goes away
Cronan December 04, 2012 at 08:02 PM
as far as I knew the girls were not the ones that posted the pictures to the website? what am I missing?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »