The odor is described as "chemically" and "sweet." I got a little whiff of it in the parking lot of Williamsburg Elementary School in Geneva after Monday night's School Board forum, but the smell not as powerful as others described it earlier in the day.
One Patch reader said she called the Geneva Police Department and was told they had received "several calls" about the odor.
Here's what some folks said on Facebook, some seriously, some joking:
- Christine Kay Donovan Yes, I noticed the smell out on Randall Rd. by the Michaels.
- Leigh Anderson Marberry Noticed it out here in LaFox, too. Could it be some kind of fertilizer?
- Amy J Romero Yes, at the library this afternoon!
- Jennifer Krason Fuhrmann Yes by McDonald's tonight as well
- Carolyn Wille Randall Road near KFC was horrible and very strong.
- Steve Snyder govt must be spraying lithium in the midwest now
- Freddy Martinez Down on island ave we've been smelling it
- Renee D. Martinez Saturday night there was a horrible gassy sewer smell on island ave!
- Diane Homan When I was out earlier smelled the candle company candles
- Brian de la Cruz smells like a paper mill, but I know that's not what it is... Is there an issue with the landfill?
- Megan Watson I've noticed it the last couple of days near Rotolo.
- Elizabeth Williams Winterhalter Yes...by Geneva library and Starbucks on Randall.