- In "You Rate the Restaurant," we pick one of the Geneva's many wonderful dining places and ask for your opinion of it. You guys are the food fans—so let us know what you think. To give the restaurant a review and star rating .
I love to nosh, and I love in Geneva, too.
I've probably eaten there close to a half-dozen times, usually for lunch, although I've ordered from the breakfast menu a couple times.
Experiences always vary, but the service has been "eggs-cellent," to borrow a word from the Nosh menu, with a wait staff that's cheerful, attentive, fun (even perky), educated about the menu and seemingly delighted with the work.
If the wait staff is playful, eclectic and fun, so is the menu, with headings like "Afternoon Delight" for lunch and "Moms Can't Make This" for breakfast.
Nosh has been rated "critic's pick" for Top Breakfast Spots by Chicago Magazine and gets compliments from the Chronicle's Mystery Diner.
Over the past couple years, I've sampled the huntington beach club, the NLT (nosh, lettuce & tomato), the muchacho three-egg omelet, and the migas de pan caliente de puerco—Spanish breakfast scramble with three eggs and housemade croutons, made with bacon, spanish chorizo, prosciutto, garlic, carmelized onions and drizzled balsamic reduction.
I also enjoyed the , by the way.
On Wednesday, I asked for a recommendation from our server and was surprised by the suggestion: the steak sandwich.
What a great choice!
It's a flat iron steak on a ciabatta bun with herbed goat cheese, bacon chutney and mushroom ragout. I was thinking I'd eat half and save the rest for later, but that didn't work. Too good. I demolished it.
"Was I right, or what?" our server asked when she picked up the empty plate.
I had the spicy fries along with, and my dining friend had the homemade chips. (I know, you're not supposed to say "homemade" with restaurants, because it's not made at home, but you know what I mean. Original. Made from scratch. Not from a box or a bag.) Between the chips and the fries, the recommendation is a toss up.
But the Nosh recommendation is an unqualified thumbs up. A lot of fun, a lot of variety. Good quality food and service.
A good, old-fashioned place to nosh.
REMEMBER: To rate the restaurant, . You can leave a star rating and a comment.
Here's the Nosh menu, courtesy of the Nosh website:
- pressed pork sandwich – slow roasted pulled pork, ham, jack cheese, mojito sauce and garlic aioli on a griddle-pressed Italian loaf...9.99
- french country baguette – grilled chicken, ham and gruyere cheese baked on a baguette and served with your choice of sweet or spicy mustard...9.99
- pistol on whiskey – thinly sliced pastrami (pistol) piled high on marble rye (whiskey) with provolone cheese, shaved red onion and housemade spicy mustard...12.99
- caprese focaccia sandwich – sun-dried tomato pesto, fresh mozzarella and basil pesto on focaccia bread with a balsamic reduction…7.99 add prosciutto or chicken...9.99
- huntington beach club – sliced roast turkey, smoked bacon, melted cheddar, cucumber, tomato and avocado aioli on a ciabatta bun...8.99
- grilled chicken salad pita – grilled chicken breast tossed with dried cherries, fresh pears, celery and onion in a housemade sweet dijonaise...8.99
- steak sandwich – flat iron steak grilled to order on a ciabatta bun with herbed goat cheese, bacon chutney and mushroom ragout...11.99
- muffelata – ham, salami, prosciutto, capicollo and provolone cheese stacked on an Italian loaf with an olive tapenade...10.99
- NLT (nosh, lettuce & tomato) – sliced tomatoes, mixed greens, fresh mozzarella on toasted challah bread, garlic aioli and your choice of applewood smoked bacon or grilled portabella mushroom...8.99
- mushroom cake wrap – two housemade mushroom cakes wrapped in a tortilla with lettuce, tomato and yogurt ranch...8.99
- caesar wrap – romaine lettuce and creamy caesar dressing in a tortilla wrap with your choice of grilled or breaded chicken, breaded tilapia or portabella mushroom...8.99
add tomato or cucumber...9.49
add shrimp or steak...10.99
add crab cakes...12.99
- nosh tacos – three corn tortillas filled with our housemade jicama slaw dressed with chipotle vinaigrette atop a creamy caper-sriracha sauce with breaded tilapia...10.99 or basque-seasoned shrimp...11.99
Beach & Grass
- naked salad – mixed greens and spinach with cucumber, tomato, celery, shaved red onion, scallion, garbonzo beans and toasted bread crumbs with a pomegranate vinaigrette on the side...7.99
chef - add julienne turkey and ham...10.99
in dirt - add marinated portabella...9.99
on land - add grilled cheese...9.99
in water - add shrimp...11.99
- grilled steak salad – flat iron steak grilled to order atop mixed greens in sweet mustard vinaigrette with tomato, red onion and crumbled blue cheese...12.99
- spinach ensalada – baby spinach tossed in a chipotle vinaigrette topped with a red onion, garbanzo beans, cucumber, jicama slaw, cheddar and jack cheeses, and a housemade cheesy tortilla...7.99
- shrimp & avocado salad – mojo-marinated grilled shrimp over chunks of avocado, garbanzo beans and red onions on top of mixed greens with a citrus vinaigrette...12.99
- endive - romaine salad - endive and romaine tossed in a pomegranate vinaigrette with candied walnuts, dried cherries and fried leeks, drizzled with a pear-blue cheese dressing...9.99
- trio – lemon-caper crabcake with avocado aioli, orange bell pepper crabcake with garlic aioli and mushroom cake with sun-dried tomato aioli, served with a petite house salad...12.99
- caesar salad – chopped romaine, grilled tomato, housemade crutons topped with a creamy caesar dressing...8.99
- mango BBQ chicken – chopped chicken and bacon over a mango barbeque sauce topped with cheddar cheese and shaved red onion...8.99
- four cheese – herbed goat cheese, provolone, fresh mozzarella and parmesan...7.99
- greek – fresh spinach, sliced tomato topped with schredded mozzarella and feta...8.99
- basil pesto – topped with fresh mozzarella, sun dried tomato and finished with a balsamic reduction...8.99
- brunch burrito - scrambled eggs, vegetarian beans, avocado cream cheese and chipotle vinaigrette served with your choice of herb-roasted potatoes or gingered-honey pears...7.99
add chorizo or bacon...8.99
- costa rican breakfast – two eggs, any style, with cheesy pink beans served alongside jicama slaw, chipotle vinaigrette and a housemade cheesy tortilla...7.99
- chilaquiles – housemade nachos sautéed with spicy salsa topped with queso fresco and two eggs, any style...7.99
add avocado, ham or beans…1.00
add pork, grilled chicken, chorizo or chicken sausage...2.00
- migas de pan caliente – what's this? A Spanish breakfast scramble with three eggs and housemade croutons, made two ways:
de puerco – bacon, spanish chorizo, prosciutto, garlic, carmelized onions and drizzled balsamic reduction...8.99
de piperade – slow cooked basque-sytle peppers and onions topped with herbed goat cheese...7.99
- the egg'r – two scrambled egg sandwich served on a griddle pressed Italian loaf with a choice of meat (ham or bacon) and cheese (cheddar, jack, provolone or gruyere)...5.99
add chicken sausage, feta, mozzarella or tomato...0.50
add prosciutto or avocado...1.00
- two eggs, any style – served with your choice of herb-roasted potatoes or honey-ginger pears, bacon, ham or chicken sausage and toast...6.79
add 6 oz. flat iron steak...11.79
add 6 oz. flat iron steak...12.99
- muchacho – three-egg omelet with fresh jalapeno, diced onion, tomato, mexican chorizo and jack cheese. Served with your choice of toast and herb-roasted potatoes or gingered-honey pears...9.99
- lorraine omelet – three-egg omelet with bacon, leeks and gruyere cheese. Served with your choice of toast and herb-roasted potatoes or gingered-honey pears...8.99
- mushroom omelet – three-egg omelet stuffed with mushroom ragout, carmelized onions and herbed goat cheese. Served with your choice of toast and herb-roasted potatoes or gingered-honey pears...8.99
- wisconsin farmhouse omelet – three-egg omelet with chicken sausage, bacon, ham and cheddar cheese. Served with your choice of toast and herb-roasted potatoes or gingered-honey pears...8.99
- el greco omelet – three-egg omelet stuffed with sautéed spinach, tomato and feta cheese, served with your choice of toast and herb-roasted potatoes or gingered-honey pears...7.99
Benny Sent Me
- il tricolore "three color" benedict – english muffin topped with oven-dried tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, poached eggs, basil hollandaise and a balsamic glaze...9.99
- mexican benedict - english muffin topped with mexican chorizo, sliced tomato, avocado, poached eggs with a jalapeno hollandaise...11.99
- gemini benedict - two crabcakes, one lemon-caper and one orange-bell pepper, placed on an English muffin and topped with poached eggs and hollandaise...12.99
- red-eye benedict – English muffin topped with coffee-crusted flat iron steak, poached eggs and shitake mushroom hollandaise...12.99
- plain ole jane – English muffin topped with ham, poached eggs and hollandaise...8.99
- monte cristo benedict – English muffin topped with thinly sliced ham, melted gruyere cheese, poached eggs and port-grape hollandaise...9.99
- salmon benedict – two poached eggs, cured salmon, avocado and tomato atop an English muffin and finished with dill hollandaise...13.99
- jalapeno benedict – grilled skirt steak under two poached eggs on an English muffin topped with jalapeno hollandaise...12.99
It's Good for You
- really naked yogurt parfait – fat-free orange-vanilla yogurt topped 'bear-naked' granola, fresh berries and a gingered-honey...5.99
- bruleed mccann's irish oatmeal – creamy steel-cut bruleed oatmeal with dried blueberries and blonde raisins, served with an English muffin...7.99
- grilled pear polenta – grilled polenta served with an herbed goat cheese and fresh pears tossed in gingered-honey...5.99
- bagel n' lox – toasted bagel served with plain cream cheese, shaved red onion, sliced tomato, capers and cured salmon...8.99
- chocolate French toast – chocolate-cherry bread battered and griddled, topped with whipped cream and chocolate chips...8.99
- nosh's French toast – our special recipe of challah bread soaked in vanilla-orange zest infused batter, served with lemon crème anglaise and powdered sugar...8.99
- savory French toast – French baguette soaked in herb batter and served with crème fraiche, diced applewood-smoked bacon and carmelized onions...8.99
- whole wheat French toast – battered 9-grain bread dusted with powdered sugar and served with cottage cheese and strawberries...7.99
Moms Can't Make This
- violet's flapjacks – four southern-style blueberry flapjacks served with a blueberry-lemon compote and topped with blueberry butter...8.49
- bananas foster pancakes – four pancakes topped with sautéed bananas, candied pecans, dried cherries and caramel sauce...8.99
- mars bar hotcakes – four chocolate chip hotcakes with toasted almonds, caramel sauce and whipped cream...8.49
- she can make them, but ours are better – four plain pancakes...4.99
four chocolate chip pancakes...6.99
- eyekeya – four Swedish pancakes served with lingonberry sauce, powdered sugar and lemon butter...8.99