2012 was an extraordinarily sad year for Geneva, IL.
In that 12-month time period, we lost literally dozens of our city's favorite sons and daughters, folks who who were pillars of our community and who have earned a place in Geneva's history books.
We talk a lot about institutional memory in Geneva, but few years have seen the passing of so many people who were institutions in their own right and who carried so many Geneva memories in their heads and in their hearts.
The list reads like a Geneva Who's Who: Merritt King, Dick Jaeger, John VanThournout, Mary Bencini, John Anderson, John Barton, Janet Safanda, Joe Radovich, Allen Mead, Roger Morris, Jack Ryan, Paul DesCoteaux.
This is the introduction to a series of Geneva Patch articles that will run from now through the first day or two of 2013. It will contain some background information, links to previously published articles and some personal memories of those whose lives have passed but will not be forgotten.
Geneva Patch editor
Dec. 21, 2012
Genevans Who Died in 2012
The following is just a partial timeline. For more complete coverage, please visit the Obituaries category under our News tab or the Death Notices category under our Announcements tab. If you know of any other Genevans who died during 2012, please add the announcement and/or contact Geneva Patch Editor Rick Nagel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Geneva's Legendary Merritt King Dies at 93
- Geneva Banker John VanThournout Dies at 84
- Community Leader John Anderson Dies at 87
- Beloved Geneva Coach John Barton Dies at 71
- Geneva Preservationist Janet Safanda Will Be Remembered With Concert Saturday
- St. Mark's Hosts Sept. 8 Memorial Service for Geneva Entrepreneur Carlton Juby
- Loving Mother Mary Ann Nagel Dies at 89
- Visitation Oct. 15 for Longtime Geneva Teacher Don Brown