Here are some interesting, different, unusul things to do this weekend in and around Geneva.
1. COTTAGES IN THE WOODS SCANDINAVIAN CHRISTMAS
- Where/When: Good Templar Park, 10 am.-4p.m. Satuday-Sunday, Nov. 17-18
- Why Go: This one's my favorite, not going to lie, as Tricia would say. You go from cottage to cottage, you see gnomes all over the place, you visit with nice people, and you find unusual, homemade gifts for the holidays. Great fun. Stop by.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/When: 318 Coffeehouse, 3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16
- Why Go: The headline, for starters. I'm not sure if "fabulout" is a typo, but I hope not. Five sisters, local authors, 318 Coffeehouse. Need I say more. And, yes, 3 p.m. Friday is kinda, sorta pre-weekend, but it's all good fun.
- Pricing: Free
3. GENEVA MUSIC BOOSTERS HOLIDAY WREATH SALE PICKUP
- Where/When: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17 at Geneva High School
- Why Go: OK, this is a bit of a bait and switch, because (to the best of my knowledge) you can't just go there and buy stuff, you have to pre-order. That said, this is a gentle reminder for a fun community event.
- Pricing: Free.
4. 2012 CHICAGO FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL
- Where/When: Pheasant Run Resort, all day Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 17-18
- Why Go: Hmm. Food. Wine. What's not to like? "This celebration of food and wine will feature unique tastings from top chefs, restaurants, sommeliers, brewers and Mixologists. It’s a culinary adventure to please even the most sophisticated palates."
- Pricing: Prices vary.
5. FERMILAB PHYSICS SLAM
- Where/When: Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, 8 p.m. Friday Nov. 16
- Why Go: Fermilab physicists duke it out in the scientific equivalent of a steel cage match to determine who can best explain the secrets of the cosmos. 'Nuff said.
- Pricing: $7