Written by Shannon Antinori
For many area residents, Fat Tuesday — which falls on March 4 this year — is not complete without the delectable Polish delicacy known as paczki.
Due to the Chicago area's large Polish population, the fried dough creation has become a staple of the pre-Lenten celebration and indulgence. Filling and icing varieties make the choices almost unending.
But you don't have to be Polish to enjoy the seasonal goody.
Here are a few places to get your paczki fix in the Chicago suburbs. Some suggestions came to us via readers who posted on Patch Facebook pages. If we left off your favorite bakery, let us know in the comments section.
- Harner's Bakery, 10 W State St, North Aurora, will have packzkis available on March 4 for $1.25 each or $15 per dozen. Orders can be placed ahead of time by calling 630-892-4400.
- Cathy's Sweet Creations, 24042 W. Lockport St. in Plainfield, (815) 577-9660
- Ingram's Busy Bee Bakery, 5126 Main St. in Downers Grove, (630) 968-8830. The last day to place orders for Paczki Day through Ingram's is Thursday, Feb. 27 (get more details on how to order online). Read more about Busy Bee's paczkis in our Downers Grove Patch article
- Garden Fresh Market, 955 W 75th St #1 in Naperville, is advertising a 2 for $1 paczki deal on Packzi Day, according to the store's advertisement
- Szela European Deli, 1327 Lily Cache Lane in Bolingbrook, (630) 378-4251
- Angelo Caputo's Fresh Markets, 3115 11th St. (corner of 11th and Route 59) in Naperville
- Donut Den, 3021 Theodore St. in Joliet, (815) 267-3810
- Milano Bakery, 433 S. Chicago St. in Joliet. According to the bakery's Facebook page, the bakery is taking orders now for Fat Tuesday packs
- Joliet Bakery, Deli & Liquors, 821 Plainfield Rd. Joliet
- Orland Park Bakery, 14850 S. LaGrange Rd., Orland Park (click here to order online or download an order form)
- Weber's Bakery, 7655 W. Archer Ave., Chicago