July is National Ice Cream month, and with the "heat dome" we're experiencing right now there's no better time to enjoy a cool treat.
Patch found five of the best places in Geneva to indulge in ice cream. It might be a guilty pleasure, but it sure is a good one.
1. doesn't just make ice cream treats, they serve gelato, too. Gelato is a rich Italian treat that takes ice cream to the next level with a smooth consistency and flavors that pack a punch. Try the frozen hot chocolate, as well. It's a chocolate-lovers dream of sweet creamy deliciousness. It's just a beautiful place to sit, as well, with small tables inside and big chairs outside.
2. Batavia Creamery—This is a "must" for anyone who lives in Geneva and loves ice cream—definitely worth the short drive to Batavia. The creamery harks back to the old days, with great quality and a million flavors to choose from. Tricia Nagel is especially fond of the "birthday cake" flavor; Kathryn likes vanilla ice cream in a waffle cone; Mom is a mint chocolate chip kind o' gal; Dad has gone radical and opts for "cookie dough" flavor on a sugar cone.
3. You can't go wrong with Geneva's on East State Street. Blizzards and Buster Bars, Dilly Bars and cones, sundaes and banana splits, Dad's partial to the Moolatte, the signature soft-serve ice cream blended with Colombian coffee and topped with whipped cream.
4. in St. Charles is a locally owned business created by an innovative entrepreneur. Owner Kimberly Elam attended Ice Cream University and used her education to create uniquely delicious flavors. Tasty options include coffee and donuts, caramel with sea salt, and peanut butter chocolate truffle. Elam also makes ice cream cakes and other wonderful treats.
5. We couldn't do an article on ice cream without giving props to and their Kitchen Sink. Two whole bananas, six scoops of ice cream, three toppings, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry make up the monster dessert. You even get a bumper sticker if you manage to finish it. Colonial has a big menu of other ice cream possibilities, too. There's even a kids' ice cream menu with things like worms and dirt (Oreo's and gummy worms) and an Oreo cookie mouse.