ABC News, CNN and other media outlets reported Thursday that the Bloomingdale JC Penney store in the Stratford Square shopping center and the Forsyth JC Penney store in the Hickory Point Mall would be shutting their doors, most likely in May.
The Bloomingdale store is about 12 miles from the Tri-Cities. Other nearby JC Penney stores that were not on the chopping block include stores in North Aurora and the Westfield Fox Valley Mall in Aurora.
On Jan. 8, the company sent a news release that said it was pleased with its holiday performance and continued turnaround efforts.
The closings are expected to save about $65 million.
This is the list of stores that will be closing:
- Selma Mall in Selma, Ala.
- Arrow Plaza in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Chapel Hills Mall in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Meriden Square in Meriden, Conn.
- Lake Square Mall in Leesburg, Fla.
- Gulf View Square in Port Richey, Fla.
- Muscatine Mall in Muscatine, Iowa
- Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale, Ill.
- Hickory Point Mall in Forsyth, Ill.
- Five Points Mall in Marion, Ind.
- Marketplace Shopping Center in Warsaw, Ind.
- The Centre at Salisbury in Salisbury, Md.
- Westwood Plaza in Marquette, Mich.
- Northland Mall in Worthington, Minn.
- Singing River Mall in Gautier, Miss.
- Natchez Mall in Natchez, Miss.
- Butte Plaza Shopping Center in Butte, Mont.
- Cut Bank, Mont.
- Vernon Park Mall in Kinston, N.C.
- Burlington Center in Burlington, N.J.
- Phillipsburg Mall in Phillipsburg, N.J.
- Wayne Towne Plaza in Wooster, Ohio
- Exton Square Mall in Exton, Pa.
- Laurel Mall in Hazleton, Pa.
- Washington Mall in Washington, Pa.
- Northgate Mall in Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Bristol Mall in Bristol, Va.
- Military Circle Mall in Norfolk, Va.
- Forest Mall in Fond Du Lac, Wis.
- Janesville Mall in Janesville, Wis.
- Lincoln Plaza Center in Rhinelander, Wis.
- Cedar Mall in Rice Lake, Wis.
- Wausau Mall in Wausau, Wis.
About JC Penney:
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP), one of the nation's largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, is dedicated to becoming America's preferred retail destination for unmatched style, quality and value. Across approximately 1,100 stores and at jcp.com, customers will discover an inspiring shopping environment that features the most sought after collection of private, national and exclusive brands and attractions. For more information, please visit jcp.com.