For many area residents, Fat Tuesday — which falls on March 4 this year — is not complete without the delectable Polish delicacy known as paczki.
Due to the Chicago area's large Polish population, the fried dough creation has become a staple of the pre-Lenten celebration and indulgence. Filling and icing varieties make the choices almost unending.
But you don't have to be Polish to enjoy the seasonal goody.
Here are some readers suggestions on a few places to get your paczki fix, both near and far.
If we left off your favorite bakery, let us know in the comments section.
- Harner's Bakery, 10 W. State St., North Aurora
- Casey's Foods, 124 W. Gartner Road in Naperville, (630) 369-1686. From Casey's Facebook page: "Tuesday, March 4 is Fat Tuesday...aka Paczki day! Available in the store on Monday and Tuesday, you can pre-order now to be assured the flavor you want. This year's flavors: Apple, Bavarian, Blueberry, Cherry, Lemon, Prune, Raspberry and Fresh Strawberry."
- Garden Fresh Market, 955 W 75th St #1 in Naperville, is advertising a 2 for $1 paczki deal on Packzi Day, according to the store's advertisement
- Angelo Caputo's Fresh Markets, 3115 11th St. (corner of 11th and Route 59) in Naperville
- Ingram's Busy Bee, 5126 Main St., Downers Grove
- Kirsten's Danish Bakery, 4 Burr Ridge Parkway in Burr Ridge, (630) 655-2066. The bakery opens at 6 a.m. on March 4
- Happy Dog Barkery, 5118 Main Street in Downers Grove, will have paczkis for pups.
- Reuters Bakery has locations throughout the suburbs, including in Elmwood Park, Oak Park, River Forest, Melrose Park, Franklin Park, Forest Park, River Grove, Maywood, Stone Park, Bellwood, Northlake and more.
- Kuppie's Bakery, 42 S. Villa Ave. in Villa Park, (630) 832-0929. From Kuppie's Facebook page: "We'll be open from 6AM to 5PM. Paczki will be $1.75 each. We will be taking orders up until Monday March 3rd. We have all the fillings we have every year: raspberry, apricot, apple, cherry, blueberry, strawberry, peach, pineapple, lemon, cheese, cheese chocolate chip, prune, poppyseed, buttercreme, custard, chocolate custard, and chocolate covered custard. Order now and get yours before they're all gone!"
- Cathy's Sweet Creations, 24042 W. Lockport St., Plainfield
- Ewa's Market & Deli, 11914 S. Route 59, Plainfield
- Tony's Finer Foods, 2300 Route 59, Plainfield/Joliet
- Donut Den, 3021 Theodore St., Joliet
- Home Cut Donuts, 815 W. Jefferson St., Joliet
- Milano Bakery, 433 S. Chicago St., Joliet
- Joliet Bakery, Deli & Liquors, 821 Plainfield Rd., Joliet
- Montgomery Market, 1525 Douglas Rd., Montgomery
- Mik's Bake Shop, 2428 Route 34, Oswego
- The Village Grind Coffee & Tea, 19 Main St., Oswego
- My Sisters Lil Donut Shoppe, 25 S. Madison, Oswego
- Szela European Deli, 1327 Lily Cache Ln., Bolingbrook
- Euro Homeland Deli, 454 N. Weber Rd., Romeoville
- Fleckenstein's Bakery, 199255 S. LaGrange Rd., Mokena
- Morris Bakery, 315 Liberty St., Morris
- Orland Park Bakery, 14850 S. LaGrange Rd., Orland Park
- Zettlmeier Bakerei, 17016 Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park
- Weber's Bakery, 7655 W. Archer Ave., Chicago