The National Weather Service recorded a wind gust of a whopping 70 mph at the Harrison Dever Crib, which is located about three miles offshore from Chicago, at 7:40 p.m. Thursday, according to the NWS.
Elburn, in Kane County, reported downed tree limbs and siding coming off of a house at 8:01 p.m. on Thursday, according to the NWS. The community saw measured wind gusts of 51 mph with sustained winds of 35 mph.
A wind advisory is in effect for Kane, DuPage, Cook, Lake, McHenry, Will, Kendall, Grundy, DeKalb and Kankakee counties through 3 p.m. Friday, according to the NWS. South to west winds gusting to 45 mph is expected.
Here is a look at what the NWS recorded for wind speeds overnight Thursday in communities throughout the Chicago area:
- Midway Airport: 59 mph at 8:24 p.m. Thursday
- Waukegan: 58 mph at 8:45 p.m. Thursday
- Shorewood in Will County: 58 mph at 8:04 p.m. Thursday
- Sugar Grove in Kane County: 58 mph at 6:37 p.m. Thursday
- Lombard: High-sustained winds of 40 mph at 7:39 p.m. Thursday
- Carbon Hill in Grundy County: 63 mph at 7:22 p.m. on Thursday