Life expectancy for Japanese is 82 yrs. compared to 78yrs. for Americans.
So what can we learn from Japanese?
1) Cardiovascular disease is higher in USA than Japanese. By the way CVD is top killer in USA that explains the most of the 4 year lower mortality in USA.
2) It comes down to more consumption of EPA found in Fish--which Japanese consume 8 times more than we do.
3) Epadel -98% EPA has been available as a prescription drug in Japan since 1997. Vascepa-96% EPA is available since Jan.28,2013 as a prescription drug.
4) Japanese did a major study JELIS from 1999-2005 --which showed that it reduced Coronary events by 19% and in subgroup with Trigylceride greater than 150mg./dl. and HDL less than 40mg./dl.--coronary events were reduced by 53%.
So my suggestion: Talk to your doctor about Vascepa if you have high TG or low HDL.
What can Japanese learn from Americans ?
1) Gastrointestinal related deaths--Colorectal cancer,stomach cancer,Pancreas cancer and other GI cancers deaths very high in Japan.
2) Colon Cancer deaths in USA =52000 per year-- but adjusted for population differences-- Colon Cancer deaths are 100,000 in Japan.
3) The difference in Stomach cancer deaths is even more dramatic.
4) Japanese health care costs although cheaper--means more deaths as few get Colon Cancer screening. Japanese companies(Olympics,Fuji etc.) sell more Endoscopy equipment in USA than whole world combined.
5) Capsule Endoscopy sells more Camera capsules in USA than the rest of world.
6) New GI techniques are detecting GI problems early in USA than Japan. It is shocking to see the deaths from GI related causes from UN data for Japan.
7) Katie Couric is a Hero for increasing Colon Cancer screening since her husband's death at age of 48. Colon Cancer screening has gone up from 25% to 55% during the last 15 years with Katie Couric's, Dr.OZ's and others help.
So my suggestion: Illinois has the lowest colon cancer screening rate--20% lower than Michigan.
Let's inform all --get Colon screening starting at 40yrs.
--get Lipid(Cholestrols) and C-rp test done starting at age of 20-25.