You'll have to wait if you are used to filing your annual tax return at the earliest possible date. The Internal Revenue Service has revised its opening date for tax season — pushing it back eight days to Jan. 30, 2013.
The tax filing deadline is Monday, April 15, 2013.
The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 30, 2013. Most taxpayers should be able to file on that date, though some revised forms may not be immediately available.
You can blame the delay on the federal "fiscal cliff" crisis and the new tax bill Congress passed just after Dec. 31. You can find more information in this Forbes article.
Electronic filing season originally was set to start on Jan. 22.
As a result of the delay, nobody will get a refund in January, an H&R Block official told Financial Advisor.
The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit, writes Patch IRS Blogger David Stewart.
There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.
The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on IRS.gov.
Do you like to do your taxes in person? Here are some places you can go to get your taxes done in the area. If we missed a good local option, please add it in the comments:
- H&R Block Income Tax Preparation Services, 1772 S Randall Road
- Robert K. Chalberg, 1035 E State St.
- Cunningham & Company LTD, 1245 Executive Place
- Crandall Crandall & Baert PC, 423 Williamsburg Ave.
- James Allen Riley, 327 S. First St.
- Cipcich & Associates, 113 E State St.
- Loberg, Miki & O'Brien, LLP 514 W. State Street, Suite 202
- Mid Valley Accounting Service, 610 S. Third St.
- Jackson Hewitt Tax Service, 546 S. Randall Road.
- Tax PRO Services, 709 Stuart Drive.
- H&R Block Income Tax Preparation Services, 1860 W. Main St.
- TAC Services, 321 Charlemagne Lane.
- Fox Valley Accounting and Tax Solution, 218 Riverside Ave.
- Frank Advisory Services Inc., 501 W. Main St.
- Mueller & Co. LLP/CPA, 2560 Foxfield Road.
- J.C. Olson & Associates, CPA, 1121 E. Main St.
- Tardella & Company, 11 S. 2nd Ave.
- F. Cesario & Company, 2580 Foxfield Road.
- R MacDonald & Associates, 1121 E. Main St.
- Janice Reed Schneider, C.P.A., 40W304 LaFox Road.
- Apex CPAs and Consultants, 1652 E. Main St.
- Francis W. Pelman CPA, 36W628 Oak Ridge Lane.
- Lawrence Lenard & Company LLC, 6N378 Creekside Drive.
- Jones and Company, CPAs & Consultants, 1601 E. Main St.
- Morrison & Associates, 440 S. 3rd St., Suite 202.
- Wollnik & Company, 1303 W. Main St.
- Patricia Engel, 103 N. 11th Ave.
- Richardson & Associates, 100 Illinois St.
- Accurate Tax, 712 Maves Drive
- Olsen's Accounting & Tax, 19 N River St.
- Wieland, Kennedy & Company, 235 E Wilson St.
- Century Accounting Services, 920 Towne Ave.
- Nyborg & Company, 236 Webster St.
- Windmill Business Services, 336 McKee St.
- Rubalcaba & Perez, 316 Lake St.
- Robert K. Cox, CPA, 1046 Woodland Ave.