We All Scream for Ice Cream, But Geneva Spends More Than Most
Sunday is National Ice Cream Day! According to a recent report by Crain's Chicago Business, Geneva residents spend more on ice cream than the national average and some of their suburban neighbors.
It would appear Geneva residents love their ice cream significantly more than the average American.
In celebration of National Ice Cream Day on Sunday, July 15, Crain’s Chicago Business has released data about how much money each suburbs spends on ice cream, via an interactive map that shows ice cream spending by ZIP code.
Geneva exceeded the national average of 100 with an index of 161. Geneva’s index was beat out by Barrington and the ritzier parts of St. Charles and Aurora, but it's right near the top of the charts. Residents of Naperville’s 60564 zip code really love ice cream, with the highest index in DuPage County: 207. Hinsdale is next in line, with an index of 201.
To find Geneva on the map, select Kane County and hover the cursor over Geneva to see if the 60134 zip code falls above or below the national average (represented by an index of 100).
If an area has an index of 105, then people there spent 5 percent more that the national average (an index of 95 means the area spent 5 percent less).
In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month—falling this year on Sunday, July 15—as National Ice Cream Day.
Check out Geneva Patch's business directory for ice cream shops.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
- Northwest Indiana Times’ website offers a list of ice-cream-related apps ranked by Mobilwalla to get your appetite and creative juices flowing.
- Elk Grove Patch reports on some fun facts about National Ice Cream month.
- St. Charles, MO, Patch shares how to enjoy frozen treats without killing your diet.
- Baskin-Robbins, the world's largest chain of ice cream specialty shops, commissioned an independent survey of 1,000 U.S. respondents to get the scoop on how Americans plan to enjoy ice cream this summer.
- To help celebrate National Ice Cream Day, Baskin-Robbins is holding a Twitter sweepstakes this Sunday to give ice cream lovers a chance to win $260 in Baskin-Robbins gift cards, enough to keep the ice cream scoops flowing for a year. For more information about the sweepstakes, visit BaskinRobbins.com or follow @BaskinRobbins on Twitter.