Travels With AJ: Storm Damage, Flooding and More on the Way
More rain is headed this way, too. So stay safe.
Sunday's storms came and went, but they left their marks—as I do every few hundred feet during my walks with Rick.
A flood warning continues today (Tuesday, May 31), and you can see by these photos that the river is high. It's just overflowing the banks in Geneva in certain places along the bicycle path.
And there's supposed to be more rain this afternoon.
"THUNDERSTORMS ... THE STRONGEST MAY PRODUCE: DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. HAIL TO THE SIZE OF QUARTERS. FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING."
The National Weather Service says to look for flooding in these areas, especially:
- COOK COUNTY FOX RIVER AT MONTGOMERY
- KANE AND KENDALL COUNTIES FOX RIVER AT DAYTON
- LA SALLE COUNTY ILLINOIS RIVER AT OTTAWA
- LA SALLE COUNTY ILLINOIS RIVER AT LA SALLE
- BUREAU AND LA SALLE COUNTIES KANKAKEE RIVER AT DUNNS BRIDGE
- PORTER COUNTY KANKAKEE RIVER NEAR KOUTS
- JASPER AND PORTER COUNTIES KANKAKEE RIVER AT SHELBY LAKE AND NEWTON COUNTIES
"IF YOU ENCOUNTER A FLOODED ROADWAY...TURN AROUND AND FIND AN ALTERNATE ROUTE," the NWS advises.