Monday School Board Preview: Tax Watchdogs Say Show Up to See Update on School Finances
Among the the items on Monday, Oct. 24, agenda are recognition of golf and tennis teams' accomplishments and a review of the district's financial condition.
In some ways, School District 304's biggest meetings cheerleader is Bob McQuillan.
Bob is known for his sincere but sometimes-acidic activism in watching Geneva School Board spending. But he arguably does a better job than anyone, including Patch, in trying to encourage people to attend important board meetings or watch on Channel 10 or the city of Geneva's website.
This is a part of democracy and local government everyone can agree on—citizens need to participate.
"If you ever wanted to see the School Board in action, Monday's meeting is the one to attend," McQuillan says in an e-mail to FACTS members.
Today, he's underlining item 3.4 on the agenda, which is published below.
"An outside consultant from the William Blair Company will discuss the financial position of the School District. It will include the debt outstanding and the repayment schedule from now through 2027," the e-mail says.
McQuillan claims the district owes close to $350 million, and yearly repayments will increase starting this year.
"This is early on the agenda, so arrive no later than 7:15 p.m.," he says. "This room needs to be packed with community members who are concerned and frustrated with their increasing property taxes."
Here's the agenda, which you can find on the School District's website page, called Boardbook.
GENEVA COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT NUMBER 304 BOARD OF EDUCATION, 227 North Fourth Street, Geneva, IL 60134 630.463.3000
NOTICE & AGENDA REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION October 24, 2011 7 p.m., 1113 Peyton, Coultrap, Lincoln Entrance, Geneva, IL
Note: Individuals with disabilities should notify the Superintendent at 630-463-3010 if they have a disability which will require special assistance or services and, if so, what services are required. This notification should occur as far as possible before the school-sponsored function, program, or meeting.
1. CALL TO ORDER
- 1. 1. Roll Call
- 1. 2. Welcome
- 1. 3. Pledge
- 1. 4. Reminder to Sign Attendance Record
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- 2. 1. Regular Session October 11, 2011
3. RECOGNITION, AWARDS, PRESENTATIONS, PUBLIC HEARINGS
- 3. 1. Tradition of Excellence Award - Geneva High School Girls' Tennis, Boys's & Girls' Golf
- 3. 2. GHS School Improvement Update
- 3. 3. Student Services Update
3. 4. District Financing Update: Elizabeth Hennessey, William Blair
4. SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT
5. PUBLIC COMMENTS
6. BOARD DIALOGUE TOPICS & PENDING ACTION CONSIDERATIONS None
7. WORK-STUDY TOPICS & FUTURE ACTION CONSIDERATIONS
- 7. 1. Geneva High School Program of Study Proposals
- 8. 1. FOIA Requests / Responses
- 8. 2. Suspension Report
* PUBLIC COMMENTS —The meeting agenda includes an opportunity for comments from the audience. It is the prerogative of the Presiding Officer to recognize members of the audience who wish to address the Board during the time reserved for public comm ent. No discussion of individual students or personnel matters is permitted, as those items are appropriate for closed session pursuant to Section 2 (c) of the Open Meetings Act.
If you have a concern regarding an individual student or a personnel issue, you are asked to bring it to the attention of the administration. In the interest of providing all visitors an equal opportunity to address the Board, comments will be limited to five (5) minutes. Those individuals needing more time should submit their thoughts in writing to the Board’s recording secretary. Visitors addressing the Board need come to the podium, use the microphone, and state their full name and address because the proceedings are video recorded for later broadcasting to the community. The Board reserves the right to edit the video recordings for the purpose of excluding any public comment regarding an individual student or a personnel issue.
Per Board of Education Bylaw 0167.3, “No interviews should be conducted in the meeting room while the Board is in session.” If members of the press/audience want to conduct an interview, they should wait until the conclusion of the meeting, or go out in the hallway or to another room.
Individuals with disabilities should notify the Superintendent at 630-463-3010 if they have a disability which will require special assistance or services and, if so, what services are required. This notification should occur as far as possible before the school-sponsored function, program, or meeting.
9. CONSENT AGENDA
- 9. 1. Monthly Financial Reports & Interfund Transfers
- 9. 2. Personnel Report: Resignations, Retirements, Leave Requests, Changes in Assignment/FTE, New Hires
10. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC ON BOARD OF EDUCATION ACTION
11. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS AND REPORTS Policy Committee, Financial Task Force, Facilities Task Force, Joint PTO, Geneva All-Sports Boosters, Geneva Music Boosters, Geneva High School Theater Boosters, Academic Foundation, GEARS, K-12 Discipline Committee, Geneva Coalition for Youth, PRIDE, REMS Grant
12. NOTICES / ANNOUNCEMENTS
13. EXECUTIVE SESSION TO CONSIDER MATTERS PERTAINING TO COLLECTIVE NEGOTIATING MATTERS BETWEEN THE PUBLIC BODY AND ITS EMPLOYEES OR THEIR REPRESENTATIVES [5 ILCS 120/2(c)(2)
14. ACTION POSSIBLE FOLLOWING EXECUTIVE SESSION 15. ADJOURNMENT