The ceremony at 11 a.m. at the intersection of State and Third streets in Geneva lasted only a few minutes, but the images remain forever.
Here are the men, most of them in the twilight years of their lives, who served and sacrificed, who lost friends, comrades and brothers to wars long past because they believed—and still believe—that there are people and freedoms worth dying for.
Among them are the color guard of the American Legion Post 75.
- Wayne Johnson, U.S. Navy and National Guard
- Dennis Enneking, U.S. Marine Corp, Vietnam
- Leonard Pietrusiewicz, U.S. Air Force
- Jon Kallman, U.S. Army
- Dave Palmiere, U.S. Navy, Desert Storm
- John Poi, U.S. Navy, Korea
- Dan Clark, U.S. Air Force, commander of Post 75
Accompanying them by playing Taps today was Kevin Potts, a senior trumpet player at Geneva High School.