A District 304 e-mail blast to parents of Geneva school students outlines a plan to keep schools open during a teachers strike.
The Geneva Education Association filed its "Intent to Strike" notice Friday. A strike could take place as soon as Nov. 9.
The e-blast indicates that most regular classroom work and extracurricular activities will be cancelled and the focus will be to provide District 304 parents "a safe setting for their children during a strike."
The School Board is asking parents' help by letting the district know—if possible, before 4 p.m. Monday—whether students plan to attend school. Parents do not have to call the school if they are planning to keep a student or students at home. Those who do want a student to attend are asked to call 630-463-3088 and indicate the student’s name, grade and school.
"It is extremely important for planning purposes to know the number of students that will be in our schools during a strike," the e-mail said.
Both sides met for a 12-hour negotiating session Friday and said they were nearing an agreement on key issues, including salary. The GEA and the School Board each have said they are hopeful a strike can be averted.
Additional details will be communicated as they become available, but the District 304 plan outline looks like this:
- It is the board’s intent to keep our buildings open to students during the school day. Students will not be required or expected to attend.
- Although regular classes and most extracurricular activities will be cancelled, school personnel will supervise age-appropriate activities in each of our elementary schools, one of our middle schools (Geneva Middle School South) for all middle school students, and at our high school.
- Buses will follow a regular schedule each day of a strike.
- A limited school lunch menu will be offered.
- Specific entrances will be designated at each building for students to avoid picketing teachers.
- Mid-Valley Special Education classes will be held. The Geneva Park District preschool program (Friendship Station) will also continue to operate. High school students will be expected to attend classes at the Fox Valley Career Center.
"Most information about the district’s strike plan will be shared with parents and the community next week via emails to parents/guardians with email addresses in our student information database, 304Connects, and our website," the e-blast says. "We appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation as we prepare a plan for your children during a teacher strike."
- Schools Post Negotiations Webpage; FAQs Available on GEA, D304 Sites
- Geneva School Board, GEA Resume Talks Friday
- Reports: GEA Members Authorize Strike; Nov. 9 Earliest Possible Strike
- Geneva Teachers Express Frustration Over Stalled Negotiations
- Geneva Teachers Stage 'Walk In' at High School, Middle Schools
- UPDATE: Geneva School Board Calls Special Meeting to Discuss Teacher Negotiations
- Is a Teachers' Strike Possible in Geneva? Green Buttons Show Solidarity on First Day of School
- UPDATE: Teachers Come Out in Force, Wearing Green, to Seek 'Respect and Compensation We All Deserve'
- Geneva School Board Caught Between Budget Rock, Teachers Contract Hard Place
- Patch Poll: How Much of An Increase Should Geneva Teachers Get?
- Batavia Teachers Get Raises in New Two-Year Contract; Geneva Still Negotiating
- Where Do You Stand on the Geneva Teachers' Union Negotiations?
- Geneva Teachers Expected to Picket Before Tuesday School Board
- State Teachers Union Announces Geneva Talks at Impasse
- UPDATE: Geneva Teachers Union Posts Its 'Final Offer'
- District 304: GEA's 'Final Offer' Calls for 18% Salary Hike in Final 3 Years Before Retirement
- Teacher Talks Resume Friday; Here's the Timeline If an Agreement Isn't Reached
- Geneva School Board's 'Final Offer' Made Public
- Geneva Teachers Give Notice of Intent to Strike
- School Board: Union's 'Rigid Stance' Kept Parties Apart for Months; GEA Responds
- Patch Poll: Which Offer Is More Fair to Teachers and Taxpayers?
- UPDATE—Geneva School Board: GEA Filed Intent to Strike While Sitting at Negotiations Table
Want to stay up to date on the negotiations issue?
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts.
- Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below this text.