School District 304's Board of Education is expected to ratify a three-year teachers contract after the executive session of a special meeting now set for 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20.
School Board President Mark Grosso said after Monday's regular meeting of the Board of Education that the board would be meeting early next week in special session but he was not sure at that time when the meeting would take place. District 304 sent notice of the meeting around 2:10 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16.
The Geneva Education Association voted Wednesday to ratify the agreement.
If the terms of Monday morning's 11th-hour agreement are accepted, it will mean the end of protracted and stressful negotiations between the School Board and the GEA.
Sunday's negotiation session, which concluded in the wee hours of Monday morning, avoided a teachers strike similar to those that have popped up in school districts throughout the Chicago area this year.
Both sides agreed to keep the terms of the contract private until the GEA and board ratify the agreement.
Want to stay up to date on school issues and breaking news?
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts.
Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below this text.
- Schools Post Negotiations Webpage; FAQs Available on GEA, D304 Sites
- Geneva School Board, GEA Resume Talks Friday
- Reports: GEA Members Authorize Strike; Nov. 9 Earliest Possible Strike
- Geneva Teachers Express Frustration Over Stalled Negotiations
- Geneva Teachers Stage 'Walk In' at High School, Middle Schools
- UPDATE: Geneva School Board Calls Special Meeting to Discuss Teacher Negotiations
- Is a Teachers' Strike Possible in Geneva? Green Buttons Show Solidarity on First Day of School
- UPDATE: Teachers Come Out in Force, Wearing Green, to Seek 'Respect and Compensation We All Deserve'
- Geneva School Board Caught Between Budget Rock, Teachers Contract Hard Place
- Patch Poll: How Much of An Increase Should Geneva Teachers Get?
- Batavia Teachers Get Raises in New Two-Year Contract; Geneva Still Negotiating
- Where Do You Stand on the Geneva Teachers' Union Negotiations?
- Geneva Teachers Expected to Picket Before Tuesday School Board
- State Teachers Union Announces Geneva Talks at Impasse
- UPDATE: Geneva Teachers Union Posts Its 'Final Offer'
- District 304: GEA's 'Final Offer' Calls for 18% Salary Hike in Final 3 Years Before Retirement
- Teacher Talks Resume Friday; Here's the Timeline If an Agreement Isn't Reached
- Geneva School Board's 'Final Offer' Made Public
- Geneva Teachers Give Notice of Intent to Strike
- School Board: Union's 'Rigid Stance' Kept Parties Apart for Months; GEA Responds
- Patch Poll: Which Offer Is More Fair to Teachers and Taxpayers?
- UPDATE—Geneva School Board: GEA Filed Intent to Strike While Sitting at Negotiations Table
- Geneva School District Outlines Plans in Case of Teacher's Strike
- GEA Posts Open Letter to Geneva Citizens
- Geneva School Board Releases Its Most Recent Contract Offer; Special Meeting Monday
- 'Show Will Go On' for the GHS Fall Play—Even If There's a Teachers Strike
- Will You Keep Your Kids Home Or Send Them, If There's a Strike?
- VIDEO UPDATE: New Voices Speak, Picketing Rules Set at School District 304 Special Meeting
- Details, Procedures For Geneva Parents, Students in Case of a Teachers Strike
- Geneva School Board Posts Most Recent Offer to GEA
- School Still Scheduled for Monday in Geneva
- Tentative Geneva Teachers Agreement Struck; School in Session Monday
- Public Not Likely to Learn Teacher Contract Details Until Early Next Week
- Reports: Geneva Education Association Ratifies 3-Year Contract