Geneva Gymnastics Team Advances to State's Elite Eight!
For the first time in its 13-year history, Geneva's girls gymnastics team will compete in the state tournament.
The Geneva Vikings girls gymnastics team will go to the state tournament as an at-large team, Daily Herald correspondent Chris Walker reports.
Geneva scored 142.85 points at the Stevenson sectional to earn the at-large position. Geneva is going to state for the first time in its 13-year history, the DH said.
In a Feb. 1 post, the Illinois High School Association website reports that Geneva finished first in regional competition, with 146.275 points, defeating the Wheaton/Wheaton Warranville South co-op, Lombard (Glenbard East) and Bensenville (Fenton).
In that regional, held at Geneva:
- Senior Ashley Puff tied for first in the vault and finished third in the uneven parallel bars, first in the balance beam, second in floor exercise and first in the all-around.
- Junior Dominique Brognia finished first in the unevel parallel bars, second in the balance beam, first in the floor exercise and second in the all-around.
- Senior Jenna Ginsberg placed fourth in the vault.
- Sophomore Megan Beitzel tied for first in the vault.
- Freshman McKenna Merges finished third in the vault and fourth in the all-around.
- Sophomore Grace Ginsberg finished fourth in the uneven parallel bars, fourth in the balance beam and third in the floor exercise.
Geneva is coached by Kim Hostman.
The state final meet takes place Friday, Feb. 15, and Saturday, Feb. 16, at Palatine High School, according to the IHSA.