Attend a public IDOT meeting and have your voice be heard about future road construction projects in our area. You'll find out more below.
Plus, the Northern Illinois Food Bank will celebrate it's grand opening of their new Geneva facility this morning.
And, Geneva School District 304 would like parents to attend a free workshop on effective parenting; you can find out how to sign up below.
Here are five things going on for Tuesday, Sept. 27:
1. The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) will hold a public meeting from 3 to 6 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn in St. Charles. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the Proposed Fiscal Year 2013-18 Highway Improvement Program with input from the community on overall highway system performance, regional transportation priorities and how to improve IDOT's effectiveness of public outreach efforts.
2. The Northern Illinois Food Bank will open its new community Nutrition and Food Distribution Center at 10:30 a.m at 273 Dearborn Court in Geneva. In attendance will be Illinois Sen. John Millner, the president and CEO of the Northern Illinois Food Bank, Pete Schaefer, Geneva Mayor Kevin Burns and more than 100 community residents and local public officials.
The new center will help feed the growing number of hungry people in our area; providing up to 4 million meals a month for citizens in 13 counties.
3. Geneva School District 304 is asking parents to participate in a parenting workshop titled Parent to Parent 2000/Lessons Learned. Each workshop will consist of two classes, containing four sessions. All sessions are free and will be held in the first-floor conference room at the Geneva School District Administrative Offices, 227 N. Fourth St.
The first workshop will be held on Thursdays from 7 to 9:30 p.m. on Oct. 6, Oct. 13, Oct. 20, and Oct. 27. The second session will also be held on Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Nov. 10, Nov. 17, Dec. 1, and Dec. 8. To register contact the Community Intervention Coordinator Chic Williams at (630) 463-3083 or Linda Williams at (630) 463-3084.
4. Sen. Mark Kirk will speak to combined chambers of commerce—from Yorkville and Sandwich to St. Charles and Western DuPage—at 7:15 a.m. at Pipers Banquets in Aurora. This is an opportunity for the business community to let Washington know that they are watching and listening. Kirk will take the podium at 8:30 a.m.
5. The Geneva Public Library is now Kindle compatible. Cardholders with Amazon Kindles can check out and borrow ebooks from eMedialibrary. Call the library at (630) 232-0780, Ext. 251 or Ext. 230 with questions.
6. Fun Fact: Since 1980, Sept. 27 has been known as World Tourism Day. This holiday was started by the United Nations World Tourism Organization as an international holiday, celebrating diversity and raising awareness to the importance of global tourism. Egypt will act as the host for World Tourism Day 2011.