- Editor's note: The official, online voting for Dancing with the Geneva Stars begins the first week of January. Be sure to vote often, because your votes raise funds and help determine the winning dance team! In the meantime, you can get familiar with the couples by reading this series of profiles and warm up by voting in our unofficial Geneva Patch poll.
Eric and Elizabeth Ott met for the first time in 2001 at a Triathlon Time Trial at the Delnor Fitness Center while participating in some of their favorite activities — running, biking and swimming. Although they did not get together for a few years, they ran in the same circle of people who encouraged their friendship. As of Aug. 10, the Otts celebrated their 5th wedding anniversary.
They made Geneva their hometown about 2 ½ years ago because they always enjoyed the area for biking on the Fox River Trail, hanging out at Island Park and experiencing the town’s atmosphere and friendly people. Eric opened his own business here called Geneva Running Outfitters on State Street. As the owner of this downtown business, he became involved as a member of the Geneva Chamber of Commerce.
Elizabeth is a high school math teacher at York High School in Elmhurst. They are parents of one child, Grayson, who is less than a year old and a dog, Haile (pronounced Hi-Lee). The family loves to take walks throughout the neighborhoods and downtown area, sometimes grabbing delicious tacos at Mel’s for dinner. The best part about living in Geneva for the Otts is the wonderful sense of community that everyone shares and the pride that residents take in their hometown.
When asked to participate as dancers in this year’s Dancing with the Geneva Stars, Eric honestly thought that the committee must have asked everyone in town before thinking to ask him and his wife! In all honesty, Eric and Liz were excited to say “yes” and felt it would be a fun experience to take dance lessons together. While in college, Eric took some dance lessons to familiarize himself with different types of dances for the Charter Day Ball. Liz has always had the desire to take lessons, but never found the time.
Even though they have not attended the event in the past, the reports from others convinced them just how fun it would be. Eric and Liz both enjoy dancing and look forward to a great experience in this year’s Dancing with the Geneva Stars.
- This profile is courtesy of the Dancing With the Geneva Stars committee. The benefit helps the Geneva Cultural Arts Commission and the Geneva Academic Foundation. The 2013 competition will be held Feb. 9 at Eagle Brook Country Club.
- Here's the Lineup for Dancing With the Geneva Stars 2013!
- PATCH POLL: Who Will Win the 2013 Dancing With the Geneva Stars?
- Dances Picked for 2013 Dancing With the Geneva Stars
- 2013 Dancing With Geneva Stars: Meet Justin and Katlyn Eggar
- 2013 Dancing With Geneva Stars: Meet Dorothy Flanagan and Sam Hill
- 2013 Dancing With Geneva Stars: Meet Kathy and Adil Jaffer
- 2013 Dancing With Geneva Stars: Meet Mary and Kevin Keyzer
Want to Follow Dancing With Geneva Stars 2013?
- Bookmark Geneva.Patch.Com on your home computer or laptop.
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts .
Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below this text.