- Editor's note: The official, online voting for Dancing with the Geneva Stars begins the first week of January. Be sure to vote often, because your votes raise funds and help determine the winning dance team! In the meantime, you can get familiar with the couples by reading this series of profiles and warm up by voting in our unofficial Geneva Patch poll.
As the only unmarried couple dancing together in this year’s event, Dorothy Flanagan and Sam Hill have been friends and co-workers at the Geneva City Council for more than 11 years. They both enjoy dancing and have supported this event every year since its inception in 2009. They are thankful and excited to dance in this wonderful fundraiser.
Dorothy Flanagan is the vice president of marketing and sales for Copia International (a software publishing company) and has been alderman of Geneva’s 4th Ward for the past 19 years. She also co-chairs the Geneva Beautification Committee with Sherry Weitl to coordinate the volunteer efforts to plant the knuckles and planters in downtown Geneva. As a longtime member of St. Peter Catholic Church, she regularly volunteers as a greeter. Dorothy has been married to her husband, Terry, for 22 years, and they have one son named Brian, and two cats named Guinness and Harp.
They came to Geneva in search of a larger home and a good school system and community in which to raise their son. Dorothy loves living in a small town like Geneva, where there are friendly faces and she can enjoy great shopping and dining with old friends. For relaxation, Dorothy enjoys golf, yoga and attending plays at the Geneva Underground Playhouse. She has also started a project of sorting all her photos taken over the past 35 years. Another passion for Dorothy is listening to or watching comedies and mysteries on old time radio or public television. She is an avid reader of historical biographies and historical books.
When asked to participate in Dancing with the Geneva Stars this year, Dorothy was excited, but somewhat apprehensive about the time commitment for practicing and perfecting an entire dance routine. Unlike her husband, who would only dance “at the end of a rope” or if someone was shooting at his feet, she enjoys dancing and even took tap lessons for several months. So, when she was asked to join Sam Hill in this year’s event, she readily agreed to be on a dance team with him.
Sam Hill was delighted when he was asked to participate in this year’s
Dancing With the Geneva Stars event because he truly loves to dance! Every year at this event, Sam can be found dancing beautifully with many friends during the open-dance portion of the evening. He has been a tremendous support for his wife, Carolyn, who has been the chairperson of this event since its inception five years ago. Sam could tell many stories of his fond memories from each special year of this outstanding fundraiser for the Geneva Academic Foundation and the Geneva Cultural Arts Commission.
Sam is retired from a career in sales and sales management. During the summer months, he works part-time at different area golf courses. Sam also serves as alderman of the 1st Ward in the city of Geneva and served as a member of the Geneva Plan Commission for several years. His service to the community includes many years on the Geneva Park District Foundation Board and eight years on the Geneva Park District Board. Other enjoyable activities for Sam include spending time with their grandchildren, reading and playing golf. He has been married for 53 years to his wife, Carolyn, whom he met at the University of Illinois. They have two grown children: a daughter, Jennifer, who is married to Dan and resides in Roselle, and a son, Jeff, who is married to Kathy and lives in Darien with their three children.
Sam and Carolyn came to Geneva 35 years ago, after Sam had a company transfer and chose to move to Geneva because of its central location to transportation, especially O’Hare airport. They love living in Geneva and in 2009 Sam and Carolyn received the Wood Award from the Geneva Chamber of Commerce for their many years of outstanding community service. They have always cherished the friendliness of the people in Geneva and spend much of their free time in town at the many shops, restaurants and parks.
- This profile is courtesy of the Dancing With the Geneva Stars committee. The benefit helps the Geneva Cultural Arts Commission and the Geneva Academic Foundation. The 2013 competition will be held Feb. 9 at Eagle Brook Country Club.
- Here's the Lineup for Dancing With the Geneva Stars 2013!
- PATCH POLL: Who Will Win the 2013 Dancing With the Geneva Stars?
- Dances Picked for 2013 Dancing With the Geneva Stars
- 2013 Dancing With Geneva Stars: Meet Justin and Katlyn Eggar
Want to Follow Dancing With Geneva Stars 2013?
- Bookmark Geneva.Patch.Com on your home computer or laptop.
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts .
Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below this text.